Chewers

Pheasants4ever

Administrator
Any suggestions on how to discourage chewing? I have a 2 year old Shorthair who has a soft mouth and will not chomp up birds in his mouth, but he chews up everything in his kennel-the edges of his house, the door flap, the house trim, etc. I give him plenty of toys to chew-dental ropes, Nylabones, rawhide, and the Kong, but it still doesn't matter!

I know they usually chew because they are bored, but I still have him out for a minimum of an hour a day retrieving dummies, walking, or playing catch with the ball, so I would assume he is getting plenty of attention.

Thoughts?

they usually chew because they are bored

That is probably the reason. Things to chew on won't cure the boredom. The dog needs some sort of activity that will keep him occupied like running or something. I don't have any suggestions for you, but if you can bring the dog in the house with you every evening and then again in the morning before you go to work that might alleviate some of the boredom.

Take him to work with you if you can. It might not cure the boredom or stop the chewing but it should give you the opportunity to keep an eye on him and let him know that chewing is not always an acceptable behavior.

I agree....I have a mixed breed pointer that use to chew the heck out of her dog house when I was single and out of town on business more often. When I started being around more and letting her stay in the house much more often the chewing completely stopped. Now the only thing she chews on is here plain white bones.

I believe your dog is trying to tell you that his kennel is for the birds and he would like a place reserved for him on the couch. Good luck.

Back