Changing pigeon coops

primalphil

If I have my pigeons homed to a coop and make a newer/bigger one, do the pigeons home to the new coop if I put it in the same spot?

It has been awhile since I upgraded my loft. And I moved it about 100' at the same time.

I had 8 homers at the time. I put them in the new loft at the new location. I only would fly 2 at a time until they had all recalled.

Throughout this process some went right in. Others stayed out for a few hours.

It took a week or so but they adapted.

That is my experience.

Good luck!

They should be able to figure it out. We move them every year from the young bird racing loft, to the old bird race loft and they make it work.

I have had the birds in the new coop for a few weeks now. I left the old coop up as a just in case and let out the bird I know homes best. He continues to fly to the old coop which is about 25 feet away. Should I just completely get rid of the old one to fix that?

Well, yeah, or make it in accessible to them. *Edit* Getting rid of it would make things easier, I'm guessing, but if you want to keep it around, you can make the transition, just is a bit tougher, and requires a bit of patience.

What we do, is that when the birds are done young bird racing we start the process of trying to get them to trap in the old bird loft. The first few times they will sit out all day trying to get into the young bird loft and then at the end of the day we will open up the young bird so they can trap in. Run them through the bobs of the old bird loft, and (a settling cage will also help this immensely) they should start to figure it out. If they frustrate you enough, you can leave them out over night and they will start to figure things out in a hurry. Just hopefully you have enough that if you lose one or two to hawks, that it won't hurt you too bad.

Last edited:
Back