Cardio Tip

4shot

I bought this set up for my bike this fall. Trying to get my dog a more consistent cardio work out. 30 min in a field seems like you are walking in circles, 30 min on a bike feels like your covering some ground. What are important miles, distance, speed? Being in hunting shape from hunting is probably the best, just trying to get there faster and safe. What are things you do or tips for getting a dog in shape?

Attachments

• IMG_3399.jpeg
    IMG_3399.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
I bought this set up for my bike this fall. Trying to get my dog a more consistent cardio work out. 30 min in a field seems like you are walking in circles, 30 min on a bike feels like your covering some ground. What are important miles, distance, speed? Being in hunting shape from hunting is probably the best, just trying to get there faster and safe. What are things you do or tips for getting a dog in shape?
I used to use one of those bike attachments to get my dog in shape. Works well, especially for younger dogs. For older dogs I found I needed to pay close attention to how they were doing, as their natural gait is not to run at one constant speed for long distances. Enjoy!

Just be careful. I used to run my dogs with my bike using a 6 ft. lead held very lightly in my left hand. Should the dog jerk or bolt after something the lea would pull out of my hand. At least that was the idea. I was running my currrent dog a few years ago while in Arizona on the streets in town. She normally would run ahead of me but it was getting towards to end of the run and she was tiring and running along side of me. All at once she decides to stop and take a dump. Somehow the lead must have gotten around my handle bar jerking the handle bar violently to the left. Before I knew what happened I went over the handle bar and face first on to the asphalt. My helmet help a lot but I still took the skin off my nose and chin. Fortunately I didn't break anything. I left a blood trail all the way back to the house. That ended my roading the dog with my bike. Of course the fact I was in my mid 70's at the time help put an end to it also. :)

I just put the ecollar on the dog and mount the controller to the bike gooseneck. He stays close and gives him some freedom of movement, but I can control him pretty easily without a physical lead attached.

I just put the ecollar on the dog and mount the controller to the bike gooseneck. He stays close and gives him some freedom of movement, but I can control him pretty easily without a physical lead attached.
I've done that also. I can make her heal by the bike if I have to.

I’m not to concerned about a dogs peak cardio condition to start the year, if they are not overweight it happens fast. What I have come to realize is the first two weeks of the year I have more problems with the condition of there feet. I try to do pre season workouts centered around toughening up those pads.

I’m not to concerned about a dogs peak cardio condition to start the year, if they are not overweight it happens fast. What I have come to realize is the first two weeks of the year I have more problems with the condition of there feet. I try to do pre season workouts centered around toughening up those pads.
Ditto this. I took mine for the first actual hunting outing on Saturday. Their cardio and stamina seemed to be fine, but both came up with pad issues. It was a good reminder to start the Tuf Foot regimen once the pads heal.

I like to start with 1-hour hunts early morning the first week of Sept, then 2-hr hunts the second week, 3-hr hunts the 3rd week, etc.
I alternate dogs each morning and hunt 5-6 mornings (retired and hunt within an hour of the house).

Excellent cardio can be a moot point if human or canine develop sore feet.
That said, I do reverse lunges and curls, or biking, or extended hiking almost every day during the off-season (age 67).
hun_hunting_earlySept.jpg

Back