Canine middle ear infection/encephalitis

mlmich@pldi.net

My 10 yr. old Brittany was diagnosed with the above disease. Very scary time for us and the dog. Here's my question: 1. Has anyone else had the same diagnoses? 2. How long for total recovery? My Brit has seemed to lost his scenting ability, while having no desire to hunt. I've taken him out and worked him on wild quail, no interest. Also, he sometimes seems disoriented and I will loose him if not careful, as he will wonder off. Very disheartening. Any advise would be welcomed.

It can be lethal.

I lost the best field trial brittany I'll ever have to encephalitis, he was just shy of 4. Persistent inner ear infection that was treated and we thought licked. One morning dog was disoriented, by afternoon he was flopping around and couldn't get up, Sunday of course, they didn't know what they were dealing with at the local "pet" hospital. Waited 8 hours to begin treating infection and it was too late.

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear about your Brit. The Vet told me nothing about recovery. I figured it was deadly if not treated. I will definetly keep a closer eye on him. Had him out this AM. He refused to cross under the fence until I leashed him, started to wonder off again. He will wonder around the house and yard without any direction or interest. Still very sensitive to both sound and touch, very spooky when outside. Thanks so much for the info. I pray he can beat this and back to normal. Time will tell.

Back