Can you top stupid!!!!

4shot

Last Saturday I’m planning the last run of the day. Dog was completely wiped out so was gonna walk some easy stuff for him. Hunt Iowa till 4:30 jump across the fence and finish up in NE till 5:15. Got my vest on and noticed I didnt have as many shells in my pocket as I thought I did. Got more
shells go to grab my gun. WHATTTT!!!! My gun was gone. Utter panic sunk in. Started looking in places it had no business being. Did I really leave it at the last place I parked, which was over 30 miles away in public walk-in area. One of the worst 30 min. ever. My first Benelli M2 w/max cammo, about $1,400 gun. Thought I laid it in the grass cause the dog was so exhausted I had to lift him in the truck. Nope not there! Stolen? Are you serious!!! Started waking in circles kicking grass yelling at myself, BOOM, found it. Came outta the field, leaned it on the front of the truck to take a piss which I never do. Got outta my loading routine and drove off. Holy crap, makes you really appreciate things you’ve worked real hard to get. Bout as bad as the time I lost the dog in a 400 acre corn field in SD. Have yet to tell wife. Top that!!!!

Last Saturday I’m planning the last run of the day. Dog was completely wiped out so was gonna walk some easy stuff for him. Hunt Iowa till 4:30 jump across the fence and finish up in NE till 5:15. Got my vest on and noticed I didnt have as many shells in my pocket as I thought I did. Got more
shells go to grab my gun. WHATTTT!!!! My gun was gone. Utter panic sunk in. Started looking in places it had no business being. Did I really leave it at the last place I parked, which was over 30 miles away in public walk-in area. One of the worst 30 min. ever. My first Benelli M2 w/max cammo, about $1,400 gun. Thought I laid it in the grass cause the dog was so exhausted I had to lift him in the truck. Nope not there! Stolen? Are you serious!!! Started waking in circles kicking grass yelling at myself, BOOM, found it. Came outta the field, leaned it on the front of the truck to take a piss which I never do. Got outta my loading routine and drove off. Holy crap, makes you really appreciate things you’ve worked real hard to get. Bout as bad as the time I lost the dog in a 400 acre corn field in SD. Have yet to tell wife. Top that!!!!
I have done that! I have left my gun, and driven off. Ran over one.

I hate watching people lean guns against my vehicle.

Last year, had a guy lean his gun against my tailgate on my truck. I was not aware he had done that. I opened the drivers side door to get something. When I closed the door, the gun fell over.

I tell people to never lean a gun against my vehicle.

Glad you found it. The panic must have been overwhelming! I try to follow this rule, both for safety and to avoid the experience you just described. My shotgun is the last thing to come out of the truck, and the first thing to go back into the truck. Every time.

I've done basically the same thing with my 28ga. SxS. Got to the next stop....no gun!! I went back to where I last had it, about a mile away. I didn't see it on the road, so it should have been right where I parked. I was hoping I hadn't ran over it. Still couldn't find it, panic was starting to set in. What I did was, laid it on the hood, had gotten in the truck and backed out of the spot I was in and drove off. After a few expletives grass kicking and head scratching I found it. I got lucky, it had fallen in-between my grill and grill guard.

Agree with Matto. For safety as well as panic, gun should be the last thing out of the vehicle and the first thing back into it. For no reason should that routine every be broken! I've watched hunters lean very expensive rifles up against their vehicle, forget and drive off. Virtually 100% of the time they run over it. You were lucky - you didn't.

Realize also, nowhere in Hunter Safety instruction are you taught to lean a gun against a vehicle. In fact, you are taught not to do so.

Here is how it is addressed:

"Lean a firearm against a secure rest only. A vehicle does not provide a secure resting place. A gun that falls over might accidentally discharge or be damaged."

Dogs first, guns second ... bathroom breaks, snacks and drinks after 1st two are secure in the truck.

I left a gun once when I was 18 or so. Drove back to the previous spot (public) and the gun was there.

Some time ago when I lived far away and would return to my brother's place for a week of chasing birds ... our parents would give us each $100 for incidentals and gas ... Well my mom kept that tradition alive for a few years after my dad passed away. One year we saw a nice pass shooting opportunity on snow geese. I dropped my brother off and went and parked. We actually each drop a bird or two and he walked back to me and we back to the truck.

That evening he said ... I can find my envelope with the $100. Next day on the way to our pheasant spots we stopped and there was the bright white envelope laying where my brothe hid.

Realize also, nowhere in Hunter Safety instruction are you taught to lean a gun against a vehicle. In fact, you are taught not to do so.

Here is how it is addressed:

"Lean a firearm against a secure rest only. A vehicle does not provide a secure resting place. A gun that falls over might accidentally discharge or be damaged."

Unload when you return to the vehicle.

I laid mine down once out in the field looking for a dead bird. Got turned around and almost didn't find it. Took me quite awhile.

I left church one day to go pheasant hunting, got halfway to the hunting spot, hit the brakes and turned around. I wasn't going to have much fun hunting without my dog!!

had a friend leave his gun in a parking lot. Went back and still there. Locked my gun and car keys in trunk (actually friend went to retrieve something, laid keys in trunk and when i came back and closed up locked gun/keys etc in trunk miles from anywhere and before cell phones.

Had to break into my own car, by luckily finding a piece of wire on side of road and popping lock on door, but had to disassemble back seat to get into trunk. Never fit right after that. It was a 1974 Ford Maverick.

Lost an Astro handheld last year because I secured it to my best using the battery tray cover snd not to the actual handheld. Looked down and saw I only had the battery cover. Never found it, and I had to get a new one because I was going to Michigan in a week.

Lost & Found. Over a decade ago, my first hunt with my new Sport Dog collar, I reached down for the controller a few hundred yards into a big draw, it was gone. It was a place I had hunted since I was a kid. I looked several times and no luck. I called Sport Dog and they were good enough to send out a new controller. I was back out the next weekend hunting (before the new controller arrived), somewhat trying to follow where I thought I would have gone and sure enough I found it! I had only used the clip on the supplied lanyard, from then on, I used the clip, a key ring and a zip tie. Not a firearm, but it was frustrating enough.

I was guiding for a wounded warrior hunt in Colorado and got back to the truck just after dark. I think I took my Astro out of my vest to turn it off and laid it on the hood of my pickup. I loaded the dogs and helped others with some things and got in my truck and drove off. When I got to the motel, no Astro. A stupid $500 mistake.

Back