BURRS !!

Fork, metal comb, but nothing really works once they get wound into the hair except scissors. Have a friend that always ran springers. We wouldn't stay in the same motel room with him. His dog would chew burrs out during the night and leave a mine field on the carpet.

Fork, metal comb, but nothing really works once they get wound into the hair except scissors. Have a friend that always ran springers. We wouldn't stay in the same motel room with him. His dog would chew burrs out during the night and leave a mine field on the carpet.
Agreed, sometimes you just have to cut the hair.

Metal comb with a backbone to it or scissors. No other tricks really. Depends on the particular dog's hair too. Both of mine are Small Munsterlanders. One has fine hair that burrs just get stuck in and need to be cut out. The other has courser hair and I can usually work burrs out with a comb.

Pluss for dogs with long hair get a Andis super 2 speed with a T-84 blade. Give em a trim a week or so before hunting season. End of most of your problem. I dont have much issue. Mine are the short straight haired ones for the most part. The ones I trim it does the trick. I like to leave the feathering on the ears. So the de matting comb works great for that. Takes no time at all. If you trim the entire dog, you will have less issue then a lab. They look like a short hair, and dont shed like a lab. We quit letting our lab friends stay in our rooms because of the hair balls, hair in your pizza, hair in the bed, and your beer. :).🍻

I carry a steel comb, a burr brush and scissors. I have used the scissors a lot on my goldens. My last golden looked pretty rough by season end but she didn't know any different.

I keep my dogs cut pretty short year round. If I know we're working a spot that holds a lot of burrs, I spray them down with Show Sheen before we hit the field. Seems to make picking the burrs out easier.

I oil my springer lightly with baby oil and then use an "afro pick" to work the burs out. I sometimes need to scissor the burs out when I pull them up with the pick.

At the local Farm & Feed - type store look in the horse section for a spray product,Mane & Tail Tangle Free. Prior to the release out of the kennel at the field, I'd spray my Springer with with the stuff. Comb out after the hunt was alot easier with fewer burrs. Also, prior to the season have a groomer (or yourself) cut that hair off in a "Field Cut"; most groomers understand that term.

Last edited:
I use a small electric razor, show sheen spray and scissors. Some of the weeds are impossible - those that stick to the skin.

Yes, trimming the belly hair is a good idea.

Today there were some burred plants...looked just like wheat with 3-4 inch heads, seeded with the corn. Dog got covered head to back legs...bad! Tried a scissors, tried the Furminator, tried using my fingers to separate the hair from the burr. Both the dog and me were getting pretty stressed out. I finally tried the beard clippers on my electric shaver. That and a comb took care of it fairly quickly. A couple spots look pretty bare, LOL.

Back