Bucket List--->2013

UplandHntr

There's still some game bird seasons open, but with 2012 behind us it's time to start planning for the 2013 season. What's on your bucket list for 2013? Different birds, different places, different people, different dogs?

Mine will keep evolving as I lay awake in bed every night :D

1- My 2 Goldens will be 7 and 10 years old and I want to get them on wild birds..period. I'm thinking seriously about a trip to Montana but wouldn't rule out SD, ND, etc if the weather plays havoc with some areas.

2- I'd like to combine this trip with a Pronghorn hunt. This will take a crazy amount of coordination, not sure how to pull it off to be honest. Maybe some UPHer's can lend a hand if they've done this.

Let's hear it folks !
Bucket List 2013

I want to shoot my first grouse over my dogs. I still have a few weeks to try and I plan to make the drive north again and give it a go.

This was a pretty big year for me, I had a new pup entering his first full season of hunting. Things have gone pretty well considering we are really low on bird numbers here in KS.

But I made my first trip out of state to hunt birds. Went to Montana and had a blast, even when we didn't get into huge numbers of birds.

Got to cross off the list :Sharptail, Huns, and Sage Grouse on that trip.

So for 2013:
1) I would like to get pointed and shot, Scaled quail or Ruff Grouse.
2) Get both my dogs fully broke and video a quail hunt where I shoot wild birds over them standing through the fall.
3) Turn the property that I am buying into a birddog / bird hunting paradise :)

combo hunt

when ya don't know what ya are doing and the game is as different as you are proposing, go for one or the other, that type of mixed bag is hard to pull off and you are more likely to do a poor job on all of them, concentrate on one or the other, besides, if you do shoot a goat, ya gotta take care of it and while it is in your truck you are probably giving you mutt hints that maybe that is what he has been missing in life and so, on his next hunt, deer, here i come. kinda like a combo fly/spinning rod, they are not worth a shit for either one

cheers

I have close to a month left for quail around here. I want to combo a mountain quail/ valley and I have the perfect place to do it if the weather cooperates.

2013 WILL be the year I finally get out of state for a hunt. I have some good contacts in Idaho, Montana, SD and Arizona and it's time to travel. I still need my mearns, blue and Bob quail for my dog JP and I still need a ruffie, sage grouse and ptarmigan here in California to complete my goal of hunting every game bird in California. Hopefully I can pull a few of these off in 2013.:thumbsup:

kinds of birds

setternut, what surprises me is that nobody in their dreams have been mentioning timberdoodles, you are supposed to have them in your part of kansas, do you ever get into them. they are a hoot over a dog, they really like to behave. i hunted them quite a bit when i lived in vermont an n. h.. they are a neat game bird and really should be included in the specie list. also shot lots of partridge back there, they don't behave for a dog any better than roosters do

setternut, what surprises me is that nobody in their dreams have been mentioning timberdoodles, you are supposed to have them in your part of kansas, do you ever get into them. they are a hoot over a dog, they really like to behave. i hunted them quite a bit when i lived in vermont an n. h.. they are a neat game bird and really should be included in the specie list. also shot lots of partridge back there, they don't behave for a dog any better than roosters do

I have shot one here. I have only seen about 3-4 of them ever in KS.
To be honest the one that I shot was not much of a challenge. I could have killed it with a tennis racket. It was a slow weak flyer, but it did hold well of the dog.

We have woodcock in Western Missouri. I usually get one a year here. one time I got into a flight. I don't know how many but close to 100. Spread into pole timber along a small river course. I have looked for them since, timber is maturing, and I have never seen them in this spot again. I usually get a point on the edge of a fallow field in a hedgerow, and almost always near a pin oak tree with leaves on it. The twittering they make seems to un-nerve me, when they are in timber, they are a challenge, up and out out zig-zag. But here they are usually tired and don't fly far. Easily my least favorite table fare.

I have close to a month left for quail around here. I want to combo a mountain quail/ valley and I have the perfect place to do it if the weather cooperates.

2013 WILL be the year I finally get out of state for a hunt. I have some good contacts in Idaho, Montana, SD and Arizona and it's time to travel. I still need my mearns, blue and Bob quail for my dog JP and I still need a ruffie, sage grouse and ptarmigan here in California to complete my goal of hunting every game bird in California. Hopefully I can pull a few of these off in 2013.:thumbsup:

Why Yes, Yes You do. :D

Qh A pm is in your Future.;)

IMO getting a Prairie Chicken pointed and shot is a much more important bucket list item than woodcock, for someone in KS.

I have gotten everything pointed and shot in KS with the exception on Scaled Quail and the Lesser Prairie Chicken. I don't know that I will make an attempt to shoot a LPC over point, I have several Greaters and that good enough by me.

But the Scalies, thats another story. They look like a challenge for the dogs to get pointed. But with the drought the last couple years in SW Kansas, I would guess that Scaled quail numbers have got to be way down.

trophy birds

went after the cotton tops last year near lamar, colorado, found some but couldn't hit them using my muzzle loader. buddy shot a couple of them, didn't see many as last year was the first year of the drought problem in that area. they didn't seem to give a damn for the dogs and just loved to run. would think there are fewer of them this year. never been into enough prairie chicks,(greater) to bother with, have shot a number over point but just because they got in the way of pheasant hunting, used to see large flocks of them at norton but rarely did they want to be hunted, they didn't much like the dogs either.

went after the cotton tops last year near lamar, colorado, found some but couldn't hit them using my muzzle loader. buddy shot a couple of them, didn't see many as last year was the first year of the drought problem in that area. they didn't seem to give a damn for the dogs and just loved to run. would think there are fewer of them this year. never been into enough prairie chicks,(greater) to bother with, have shot a number over point but just because they got in the way of pheasant hunting, used to see large flocks of them at norton but rarely did they want to be hunted, they didn't much like the dogs either.

Prairie Chicken after the early season are really tough to get a dog on. Once they are in large flocks, its pretty much over for pointing them with a dog. (other than the occational one that you find pheasant hunting).

I like putting my dogs on different kinds of birds. It is amazing how fast they learn to handle them.

Goals for 2013....

1. Do the summer roading with the bicycle again and keep the dogs lean and muscled this summer. They really love it and it keeps me healthier too.

2. Train Junie to come using the tone on an e-collar.

3. Train Daisy (GWP) to sit calmly at heel and fetch on command so she can be my 2013 duck dog.

4. Continue to improve the wildlife habitat at my little farm.

5. Hunt whatever's in season, whenever I have time.:thumbsup:

6. Get my older daughter out with me more next season as a spectator, and keep practicing her gun handling with her bb gun.

2013 Bucket List

Here it is:

1. Win the WA walleye circuit (I play superlotto and still haven't won there either)

2. Start a Quail Forever Chapter/already in motion.

3. ND/SD upland bird bonanza, starts at the second weekend of October and ends at Uguide the last week of October. My dog made me do it after a challenging WA season.

4. Shoot one of these cropraiding Elk on my massive 10 acres in the Wa late archery Elk season. I always see them unless I'm hunting in which case I've never seen one.

5. Buy two new to me 16 guage shotguns.

2013 Bucket List-

Take a grand slam of species here at the Byrd Ranch:
Rio turkey
Bull elk
Bobcat
Lesser Prairie Chicken(if there is a season)

Western Colorado Elk Hunt with both sons

Goals:
1. Get in better shape to hunt longer days. Lucky my dog hunts close because I am pretty slow.
2. Travel to ND and hunt the Ellendale/Ashley area before dropping down to the Miller area.
3.Shoot more clays summer and fall to get gun swinging and timing up to snuff.
4. Get to know more SD and ND folks. They are about the most genuine and down to earth as you'll ever meet.
5.Keep my dog out of the road.

2013 list to do

I plan to get in better physical shape and to work on my shotgunning skills so my hunting can be more productive. I will go back to North Central Kansas for the opening of the season. The past two years have been lean due to the weather and its affect on birds. It will probably take a few years for things to get back to normal but the hunting will be more challenging and the people out there are fine folks. It is always a good trip and good hunting even in the lean times.

Shoot Roosters and Deer again! I went all of 2012 w/o taking my gun off safe for bird and hunted 14 days on stand w/o taking a deer:mad:.

Drought and EHD has devastated our wildlife. So my list is simple but if we have time and resources.

Elk in Co in Sept- Bow
W. KS Pheasant & Deer Hunt for a week
SD for a long weekend hunt before my Lab get too old for it and my Britts get too fat. :eek:

I guess mine would have to be to get out fishing with the boys a little more this year. We fished for a week at Taneycomo as always, but didn't do much else. Unfortunately fishing season is busy season at work, so sometimes it isn't a priority.

1. more fishing
2. as others have said, getting myself in better shape. I fought a pretty goood back injury early october which affected all of my hunting trips. It is just now getting back to normal. Need to lose 50-60 lb's
3. training with dog at least 2-3 times a week. He got a bunch of pheasants in his mouth this year in 3 trips to sd. He gained a bunch of valuable experience.
4. Being nice to the wife in the off season so she will not object to even more hunting this year. 17-18 days afield was about average for me. I don't see how some of you manage 50-60 days:eek:
5. Hunting kansas a couple times this year regardless of bird numbers. If it is cold late this month, I will probably venture out for a day or so.

Overall I can't bitch. I had a pretty good season. No deer either ( didn't hunt this year), not many ducks, one turkey. Met and hunted with some good guys from UPH, hope to meet a few more next year.

Happy Happy Happy

Would like to:

1. trout fish in the spring and/or chukar hunt in the fall in northern Nevada.

2. hunt pheasant in SD or ND in October.

Back