Browning Auto 5 20 Gauge

westksbowhunter

Cleaned up the old 1965 Belgium Browning 20 gauge today. It was my granddads. It has just been collecting dust since 1998. Going to get a case of some golden pheasant and bring it back to life this season. She is light and no vent rib. Should be fun.

Those old recoil operated guns are fun. You can feel that the action takes slightly longer than a gas operated breech action. Beautiful gun man! you should be proud to tote it around!

Dang it west.... for a minute I thought you were selling one. Best out there if the rings are set right. Enjoy.

I had a japan made 20 gauge A5 that I bought new in 1986. I sold it for a new Browning Gold 12 in 2002. Love the Gold but wish I had that little 20 gauge back. I did find a light 12 for sale yesterday that I might pick up. Or maybe a new Maxus.

There’s just something about the Auto 5s. Dad had one in 12 ga he gave to me and I had it restored by Arts Gun Shop in Missouri. Been looking for a 20 and think I’ve found an early Jap model. I can shoot very well with them. I’m sure there’s a nostalgia thing also as dad and granddad shot them. Hell, everyone had them back in the day. The 12s are a lot easier to find deals on....

Interesting this is posted now...I just bought a 20 A5, on line, last night. Have three day's to approve et al. Probably receive the gun next week.

These guns are extremely rare and very difficult to find. Some are offered on various web sites a high price. Hope this one proves satisfactory. Out of the box new - $4000!

Last edited:
A mid-eighties Japanese A5 Light(er) 20 was my first adult shotgun. 28" vent rib invector-choked barrel. It's a safe queen now, but I hunted with it for at least 20 years. Lots of good memories.

I had a 86 Light 20 that I sold for some reason. If you ever want to sell that one let me know. I am getting ready to buy a sweet 16 Belgium. Guy actually has a new one in the box for $3600, but I am not buying that one.

I just found a NIB 82 Japan gun. 20 Ga 26” IC. Never fired. Bought it today. It has been fired now!

Awesome guns, all I hunt with is a 70x Magnum Twenty. Love it so much I just bought Another one 71x never fired.

I have two of them. Both blondes. One with a 26 inch IC and the other with a 28 inch mod. Still use them from time to time.

The one with a 26 inch bbl was my dads. That gun killed a bunch of quail in SE KS back in the times when there was quail down there.

I've owned a lot of shotguns over the years. Pumps, autos, singles, SxS's and OU's but it wasn't until about 10 years ago I bought my first Browning Auto 5. A 1960 Belgium "SweetSixteen" with 26" vent rib choked IC. After using it for awhile I thought why the heck did I not own one of these before. It has become the only gun I use for pheasants. I absolutely love it. BTW, for you Auto 5 20 ga. guys. Browning made the Auto 5 first in 12 ga. and then in 16 ga. When they did come out with a 20 they built it on the 16 ga. frame. Some of the parts from the Belgium 16's and 20's are interchangeable.

I don't think they're too hard to find. Wood is getting hard to find. If I had a problem, I'd call Art's Gun Shop in Missouri first. There were over 3 million of them made so there are lots of parts out there. I knew the 20 and 16 wood was interchangeable. When I had the 12 gauge restored, he didn't have to replace any parts and that gun had been used hard. He said they seldom have parts break. Sometimes need a spring or two replaced.

View attachment 8515

This is the 12 I had Arts restore. It was in rough shape. Wish I had taken a before pic.

Last edited:
Back