Browning A5 Sweet16 For Waterfowl?????

Anyone using their gun as a waterfowl choice? Can you tell me your experience with shells, shot size, and choke? Just looking for a starting point to pattern the gun

I do a great deal of waterfowl hunting with a 16 gauge gun.

I now reload all my steel ammunition for the 16. My favorite duck load is 7/8 oz of #3 steel at 1550 fps. I do not feel that I am handicapped in any way compared to 12 gauge guns.

Prior to reloading my own, I found the Federal loads to be anemic.

The best factory loads for the 16 that I am aware of come from Sporting Ammo II. They are on Facebook.

Their 15/16 oz load of #3 steel at 1450 fps is a solid performer on ducks and pheasants.

I don't use mine for duck hunting, but do use it in public upland areas that require non tox shot. #5 bismuth for pheasant works well. I don't shoot steel through my sweet 16.

My duck gun gets beat up pretty good, so I shoot a 12ga Franchi, #3 steel in either 2 3/4 or 3" is fine all around load for decoying ducks, in any gauge.

Might need to step that up if pass shooting or geese.

I do a great deal of waterfowl hunting with a 16 gauge gun.

I now reload all my steel ammunition for the 16. My favorite duck load is 7/8 oz of #3 steel at 1550 fps. I do not feel that I am handicapped in any way compared to 12 gauge guns.

Prior to reloading my own, I found the Federal loads to be anemic.

The best factory loads for the 16 that I am aware of come from Sporting Ammo II. They are on Facebook.

Their 15/16 oz load of #3 steel at 1450 fps is a solid performer on ducks and pheasants.
Thanks!!! I believe they are no longer producing ammo.

I don't use mine for duck hunting, but do use it in public upland areas that require non tox shot. #5 bismuth for pheasant works well. I don't shoot steel through my sweet 16.

My duck gun gets beat up pretty good, so I shoot a 12ga Franchi, #3 steel in either 2 3/4 or 3" is fine all around load for decoying ducks, in any gauge.

Might need to step that up if pass shooting or geese.
Funny you say that. I have fallen in the dark with my gun wading into swamps and ponds. I think I'll use my 1100 knockoff for that. I do have a nice peninsula I hunt for ducks and geese that I would like to try the S16 out at. I'll pass some Bismuth thru her and see how she patterns if it's available.

Thanks!!! I believe they are no longer producing ammo.

I am sorry. I did not know that they were out of business. I do not have Facebook but saw that they had a FB page.

It has been years since I purchased some of their ammo. I still have one box of 16 gauge #3 steel from them.

Another option for you is to look into bismuth shot loads.

Hevi Shot, Kent, and Boss all make 16 gauge bismuth loads and the prices seem more reasonable than a few years ago.

Back