Broods spotted.

FCSpringer

Well after a gloomy last 2 seasons, things are looking up in MN I think. Maybe not as much down south with all the flooding. But in Wst central I have seen a fair number of nice broods. Last night doing some spot spraying I saw 2 broods at home. 4-5 weeks old I would say. They looked good.

Thanks for being active on here and posting your observations. I also read the article on Worthington area rains. Hoping for a later hatch and re-nesting attempts. May lead to more young undeveloped roosters come October but im fine with that.

I still am. I have now seen lots of young birds. The hatch was awesome. It will be a much better year this year for some areas. The weather has been spot on for them. 2nd and even 3rd hatches I believe. I just saw some 2 week old birds the other day. I believe that is close in age because I have some in my garage I hatched the same age LOL.

Does anyone have a report on how things are looking in Southwestern MN? Are the gloom and doom outlooks from earlier in the summer actually playing out? I know they got a ton of rain especially through July. In South Central MN I have seen more birds than in the past few years. During planting there were a ton of birds that had made it through winter. I saw more this spring than during the season. Even with the rain in this area they seem to be doing pretty well. At least where there is habitat.

I haven't heard any reports from SW Minnesota so I do need to call one of my farmer friends over there. I have purchased a non-resident license in MN for probably 15-20 years because I go back and hunt every year a few times with some high school friends. For a number of years we had some pretty decent hunting but the last several years has been pretty dismal. Last year was the worst as I don't think I even fired a shot. I'm going to have to get some darn good reports or I think I'll save the cost of that non-resident license. Even though I'm only 30 miles from the border it just won't be worth the trip.

I have not heard from Mark about that area Zeb. I know he was doing some trapping and deer stand stuff out there. If I hear from him I will send you a PM. I have even put up young wild birds on retrieves training. I have not done that in a few years. Yes last year sucked. I never fired a shot either. Just worked dogs on training birds. This year they get to have some wild fun.

saw a brood of 4-5 yesterday NE of alexandria; going SW of alex again this weekend so I hope to see or hear some roosters

I still am. I have now seen lots of young birds. The hatch was awesome. It will be a much better year this year for some areas. The weather has been spot on for them. 2nd and even 3rd hatches I believe. I just saw some 2 week old birds the other day. I believe that is close in age because I have some in my garage I hatched the same age LOL.

The DNR's roadside count seems to confirm what you've been seeing Springer. West Central had the highest counts per 100 mi in the state.

Back