Broken toe question.

Skeet Mc

I have a GWP that broke a toe the last weekend in November. The swelling has come down an she is no longer limping. How long should I give the toe to heal before I let her hunt.

I didn't take her in because Ive broken toes before and there wasn't a thing they could do about it, other than tape it to the one beside it.

Thanks Bobman, I was beggining to wonder if I had asked a stupid question. Thanks again!!

Skeet, did she break the toe or the nail back into the toe? Just curious because me daughter's Brittany recently broke a nail back up in the toe. Slow to heal and every time she catches in on something it starts bleeding.

Dakotazeb

I'm pretty sure it was a broken toe but I am monitoring the swelling. The swelling continues to decrease but it is taking longer than I thought it should. This weekend will be the third week. Last year was her puppy season so I just let her have fun. This year was her first year as a broke bog and I will miss not having her in the field for five more weeks. I just need more patience I supose.

a broken to can be manipulated to clearly indicate its broken, depending on the dog you might want to muzzle it

If its been healing for three weeks don't do it now, but in the future keep this in mind when you want to diagnose something

the other less than obvious cause of swelling is a splinter driven up next to the nail

Oh Wow! That might be it. She didn't limp until the day after we hunted. I wiil check her toe nail when I get home. Thanks Bobman!!!

Back