Bowman N.D.

EEK

Headed there for the second time, great people, very nice and clean town, hunting was good and i had a great time, good enought to go again and take my son who will be able to hunt next year. Also got to work the dog heavily and that alone is worth the 13 hour drive. Going again mainly for my son and to get more time with the dog, thanks to this forum he is everything i could want and more, got some reallt good pics last time and will get more this time.

When you leaving?
Do you get into Sharpies out there or Huns. I hope to be out again in Dec. if the weather holds, I don't go so far west usually, where do you stay,[hotel] and do you hunt PLOTS.

We are supposed to leave on Thanksgiving, but the winter storms are rolling in so i dont know if we will, we hunted mostly PLOTS but we also have permisson to hunt some private land, i cant remember the motel as my buddie made the aragements, i will ask, clean cheap rooms ans dog friendly.

Bowman's a great area. The landowners and the birds are both very accommodating. :thumbsup:

We are supposed to leave on Thanksgiving, but the winter storms are rolling in so i dont know if we will, we hunted mostly PLOTS but we also have permisson to hunt some private land, i cant remember the motel as my buddie made the aragements, i will ask, clean cheap rooms ans dog friendly.
Don't worry about it, I can google if I need it,wn't be this year, i'm sure there's not to many.
I have a week off just after TG, 3 years ago I went out just after TG and It was below zero and windy I thought I was going to freeze solid. The hunting was quite good, as the birds had bunched up and gone back into several PLOTS areas that weren't productive earlier, there wasn't any snow that year, just cold. I remember coming back to the hotel at night and turning the heat up to eighty and just sitting and shivering for a long time before I thawed out.
Two years ago they had the big snow storm and I didn't go back out, most of the roads were blocked, this time of year you never know.

I just got a ground assesment there, good news is there are birds, bad news, with the wind chill its -35 and there are 12 foot drifts and some roads are closed inc island park and yellowstone, and they are saying its gona get worse this week.

snow is there and more on the way, as well as some bad temp. i will keep you updated if you want, the company my wife works for has some projects around there and these guys hunt as well so i can get some reports daily

Thinking of going to Bowman/Hettinger area tomorrow or more likely Tuesday. Any reports on snow cover, new snow coming, etc.?
AWSUE

Do a google search for intellicast. They have a snow depth map, It looks like there are 4-8 inches in that area.

Thinking of going to Bowman/Hettinger area tomorrow or more likely Tuesday. Any reports on snow cover, new snow coming, etc.?
AWSUE
I'm trying to get out of working Wed. and getting out by the weekend, if not maybe next week.

We had to cancell as the roads were either closed or could be closed at any time, well be there next year:cheers:

Arrived in Hettinger....actually Bucyrus. I94 in MN was awful in some spots. Roads got better as we went along. Took quite a while to get here. Hopefully we'll run into some birds tomorrow.

AWSUE

I Hunted Bowman Area Once

Hunted near Bowman -- out of Scranton -- with a real nice fellow named Allen Andersen. He had a bar on main street. Been some years back. Had a great hunt and Allen was a great host. Coming from Kansas, it was strange to drive past stubble fields and actually see the pheasants feeding out in the middle of them due to the scanty cover. But boy were there birds.

Last edited:
Back