Boundary Waters Fishing Trip

KansasGsp

Have any of you guys ever been? It's been on my bucket list, I plan on crossing it off this summer! 3 buddies and I are going to make the trip this summer. We just started looking into it, all newbies so plenty of things to research/learn. Just curious if anyone had any info to share. Thanks, Bryan

Ironic that a Wichita guy is asking about the Boundary Waters and a Wichita guy is the first to answer. So, I'm sure there are many people with MUCH better info than me.

I've been several times, and I've absolutely loved it. Besides the rolling plains of Kansas, the northwoods is one of my favorite places. While you don't need a guide with you if you can read a map, I do suggest that you work with an outfitter who will provide several key services: equipment rental, advice on where to go, assistance with permits, canoe transport, shuttle, menu planning, etc. There are many. I would also suggest that you get on it quickly. Not all access points are the same, and permits are limited in quantity.

You'll need to be in decent shape. Even the lightest of modern canoes can get heavy over a longer portage with some elevation change. Also, sitting on a canoe seat all day can hard on your back.

Finally, you're calling this a "Fishing Trip". I've fished every time I've been, and the fishing can be great. But, I'm not sure I'd call it a "fishing trip". In my mind, it's a canoe camping trip with bonus fishing. If someone asked me to suggest a destination for a smallmouth/walleye/northern/muskie/etc. fishing trip, I'd suggest something that involved hot running water, electricity, and outboard engines. The whole camping/paddling/portaging thing consumes a lot of fishing time and a lot of energy. You can decide that for yourself, though. That's nice the thing about the Boundary Waters.

Appreciate the advice and feedback. I agree that it's more of a canoe/camping trip than fishing, but I've heard the fishing can be pretty darn good up there. Anyways, been on my bucket list for a while and figure I'd better do it before I get too old!

Good advice regards an outfitter - well worth the investment. I can't offer a name, but there are several in some of the small towns on the border.

Now if you are really interested in a wilderness experience, try Woodland Caribou Park in Ontario. I had a fishing camp 550 miles north of International Falls and can vouch for the serenity and the fishing. It was a private fly-in camp, Northern Pike and Lake Trout fishing. We retired the camp four years ago...

The previous posting is accurate; there's more camping and paddling than fishing, unless you stay in one spot for several day's.

Enjoy your trip!

I have been to the BWCA many many times send me a PM if you have personal questions. Coming from Kansas you will probably need an outfitter unless you already have your canoe's, backpacks, and cooking equipment. I have a suggestion for a particular outfitter I really liked that I would share with you if interested. Getting a permit is your first priority right now!

I have been to the BWCA many many times send me a PM if you have personal questions. Coming from Kansas you will probably need an outfitter unless you already have your canoe's, backpacks, and cooking equipment. I have a suggestion for a particular outfitter I really liked that I would share with you if interested. Getting a permit is your first priority right now!

PM sent, thanks

Only been once as a kid. I believe we went out of Elly. We didn't have a guide the adults planned everything. I know we camped on an island and made several portages. The sand/black flies were fierce. I would suggest headnets just in case they are bad again. Fishing was great as was the scenery and trip. We had a little 1/2 hp evinrude to give the paddlers a break. Our canoe was my mom, dad, sister and me along with our camping gear. Our tent was a canvas wall tent. I was probably 6 or 7 at the time and I still have great memories of that trip....I'll be 50 this year. Have a great trip. Would love to return. Hope you have a great trip and sorry I can't provide any help.

Have any of you guys ever been? It's been on my bucket list, I plan on crossing it off this summer! 3 buddies and I are going to make the trip this summer. We just started looking into it, all newbies so plenty of things to research/learn. Just curious if anyone had any info to share. Thanks, Bryan

Been there many times, although its been awhile since my last. I will say, pick and research your entry point and plan how many days you want to spend. Get quality maps and plan your camp stops. Designated camp sites are listed, so choose wisely and take into account how long it will take you to get there given the available daylight remaining. Portages, how many do you want will dictate the route you take.

Food. Simple. Gear, Light, remember what you pack in you must pack back out. First aide, no medical services anywhere near.

Make a checklist of what you will actually need and pack only that, remember what you pack in you must pack out and if your doing a number of portages this will be plainly obvious after your first portage.

Oh! And plenty of skeeter repellent. Actually I thought the black biting flies were worse....

Most of all have fun in one of the most beautiful and prestine wildernesses left in the lower 48. If your really lucky you may even witness one the most spectacular Northern Lights displays ever.

Last edited:
Minnesotan here. I adore the BWCA. I go about every other year, and will be doing my first solo trip this year.

I always go out of the Gunflint side, but I'm sure the Ely side is great too. I only rent canoes now, but pretty much all the outfitters on the Gunflint have been great to me. Look at Seagull Outfitters and Gunflint Northwoods.

What time of year are you going? I've got some spots where we've done great on walleye and SMB. Northern are everywhere it seems. Lake trout can be had, but they are tough to get on.

General fishing tips are: dawn/dusk, moving water, KISS presentations. BWCA.com is a great resource. People are very open with help.

For me, being outside is Church. And the BWCA is about the holiest experience there is.

Appreciate all the responses. Mutt, we are planning on going in the middle of July. Probably will go out of the Ely, spoke to a couple outfitters about getting permits and renting canoes. Walleye and small mouths are really what we are after. Looking at setting up camp and really not moving around too much, maybe a different lake or two within reasonable portage. I completely agree that outside is church and I can't wait to get up there. Thanks again

Back