Boots...Help!

akp

I am in the process of trying to decide on which boots to buy. I have about six hard years on a pair of Cabelas Brittany (Chinese made) boots and could probably squeak a couple of more seasons out of them. I hunt hard and they've been great.

I have considered the Danner Grouse, but am afraid they're too heavy. Other's I'm considering are the Irish Setter Wingshooter and the Havoc. The Danner Fowler had me interested but it looked like the sole was just glued on.

Help me out guys....I'm driving my wife crazy trying to decide. I know several on here have the Havocs and love them. What about the Wingshooter?? I worry about the sole over the tip of the boot coming loose after a season or two when I look at the Havocs. Anyone had this problem? I'm going to stick with these Brittanys and decide this summer.

I have 3 pairs of Irish Setter boots and love them. I don't have the Havoc but have worn them and will be my next boots.

Do a search and you'll find high praises for the Irish Setters. I've worn the IS Uplands for years and they've been great. I just broke in a pair of Under Armour Speed Freak Bozeman's and love them. Good luck with your search.

Very satisfied with the four pair of Danners I've had, all different models.

I have Irish setters as well for upland and deer hunting can not remember the model names but they are both very comfortable boots and did not have very long break in periods at all.

I got a new pair of Irish Setters for Christmas. Opened them Christmas morning and wore them the next day on a Blue Quail hunt in New Mexico. The only brand I wear.

Why not stick with another pair like you have? If they lasted 5 years they have to be a good boot and fit you well. I don't like to change once I find something that works well for me and my uses. Unless improvements have really changed for the better I find that the same product is always a good bet. Why fix something that isn't broke?

They don't make them anymore or I would. It's my second pair of those. Anyway, thanks for the help everyone. I've narrowed it down to three:

1. IS Wingshooters
2. IS Havocs
3. Danner Grouse

boots

Kenetrec. Irish Setters are great boots, a lot better than Danners. I wear out a pair of China Danners in about a year and a half or less so I am done buying those. Give me a full year and I'll tell ya how the Kenetrec boots hold up.

Besides my Russells these are my go to hunting boots. Light, waterproof, good traction and durable (I wore a pair through a hunting season and through two paving seasons). I really love These boots, they're on sale so I'm going to order another pair even though my New ones are only a couple months old.

http://m.basspro.com/RedHead-12-Iro...-Waterproof-Work-Boots-for-Men/product/97358/

The redhead uplanders are decent too but I like the Wellingtons a lot better.

Last edited:
They don't make them anymore or I would. It's my second pair of those. Anyway, thanks for the help everyone. I've narrowed it down to three:

1. IS Wingshooters
2. IS Havocs
3. Danner Grouse

Don't you need something with steel toes when stumbling over those Osage Co. boulders hidden in the grass? ;)

cr

Besides my Russells these are my go to hunting boots. Light, waterproof, good traction and durable (I wore a pair through a hunting season and through two paving seasons). I really love These boots, they're on sale so I'm going to order another pair even though my New ones are only a couple months old.

http://m.basspro.com/RedHead-12-Iro...-Waterproof-Work-Boots-for-Men/product/97358/

The redhead uplanders are decent too but I like the Wellingtons a lot better.

these would be my recommendation as well. great boots, great price point, and with a little mink oil, they will last forever.

Bought a pair of havocs. Had to send back the first pair and get a wide. Strange, I don't ever wear wide shoes. Anyway, they seem nice and I'll treat them with obenaufs soon.

Buy a pair of Russell's and consider it an investment for the rest of your life.

Most comfortable boot I've ever owned and the best built. Plus they can fix them if needed.

They'll cost as much as two good pairs of other boots but last 4 times longer. I've wasted so much money on boots over the years it makes me sick. Now I own two pairs. One pair Russell Premium Back 40 and a pair of short chukka style Rocky Outbacks.

Back