Booked my 1st out of state trip

bauerline

I'll be heading the Maine in early October for a few days of grouse and woodcock hunting. I just got done putting down a deposit at a loge in the Jackman area and I'm looking forward to it. Anybody else been in that area before?

You lucky devil! I've been to Maine many times, but not in the Jackman area. We used to go to the Machias Lakes area. What Lodge are you staying at.

Bulldog Lodge is where I'll be at. I'll get a cabin that allows dogs plus three meals per day for $85/day plus and extra $10/dog to stay with me. I'm looking forward to it.

Are you going to use a guide? What pups are lucky enough to go?
Don't be fooled by it being early October, it can get down right cold at night and snow is not out of the question.
Some of the locals shoot grouse off the roads and think nothing of it, they could never understand why we would get upset!
Boy it's going to be a long summer for you! :cheers:

No guide but they will provide maps and information. I'll be taking Blitz and Champ. Nittany will almost be 12 at that time and I think it would be too much for him. At this time I think my biggest concern are possible moose encounters.:eek:

At this time I think my biggest concern are possible moose encounters.

Boy...do we have some stories about Maine and moose!
We used to use John Boats to go from island to island and some islands were very small. At the end of the day we would just set up camp at the island we were on.One night the moose decided to have a donnybrook on this island, they literally stepped all over our tiny tent!.:eek: You don't realize how BIG they are until you see one up close. We have at least a half dozen stories about encounters with moose in Maine.
I wouldn't worry about moose as much as porkys however!They seem to be all over the place in the area we went to.They once ate through the brake lines on my brothers truck and we were miles from nowhere! :mad:
That all being said I'm sure you'll have a great time!:p

Man sounds like fun !!! Road trip / adventure !!!

Keep us up to date on your trip planing etc . This is a woodcock and Grouse trip?

What will the fall colors be like when you will be there ? That area in the fall is on my bucket list .

I will be going for both grouse and woodcock on the trip. I think most of the leaves should be off the trees by then but I'll let you know how things look.

That is awesome! That's a dream trip for a left coaster like myself. Have fun and I know I don't need to tell you I look forward to many pics and stories!

Been north and a little east of there twice hunting big game not birds. Saw fair amount of grouse though while there. Have been doing some research on it though as it looks like a great,economical bird hunt. Have talked to some lodges to start to build some contacts and get questions answered. Had thought I might get there this fall but doesn't look like that is going to happen. Will be very curious to see your report when you return.

Can't go wrong up there I been just about everywhere up there I went up four time to different areas for deer and I think I covered it all.lol saw grouse at all of them and was lucky enough to kill three bucks up there. Love it up there you have a blast.

Can't wait for the report, as much as you can't wait to go :p. I,m hoping to get t o SD this fall myself. We visit my wife's family in MN, and I hoping to slip over to SD and hit some public land. Last year my bro in law and I slipped over to WI, with the dogs, and shot some pen raised birds. :)

I went to Jackman a few years back and hunted the Great North Woods. I believe that was the name. I went for deer but saw loads of grouse everyday. You won't have problem finding birds. I often think of going back for grouse. I look forward to hearing how your trip goes. BTW bring a good gps or map and compass as it is big woods with no cell and easy to get disoriented in the young clear cuts. Enjoy.

Just got back from my first hunting trip to Maine. I was in the Jackman area and it was just myself and the two youngest dogs, Blitz and Champ. The locals reported that bird numbers are down but I think we did pretty good finding birds. On day one we (me and the dogs) moved 10 grouse and the closest I came to bagging one was when I hit the tail of one on a crossing shot. The next day I got two grouse and we put up 15 for the day. The last day was a short hunt and we moved 6 birds and I missed on two of them. The dogs worked well and had points, tracking, relocation and wild flushes. I wish I could have given them more retrieves. We didn't find any woodcock but other people who stayed at the same camp as me moved a decent number of woodcock. But they didn't see as many grouse as me. The cover was tough but I was happy with the dog work and getting some birds. I was satisfied with everything considering I went up by myself and hunted on my own the entire time.

Enjoy the pictures:

IMG_0327%202_zpsqht8jyy8.jpg

IMG_0329%202_zpsawy6jamj.jpg

IMG_0330%202_zpsphsfbe6g.jpg

IMG_0338%202_zpsgwwttuyo.jpg

IMG_0342%202_zpsjpqxdhan.jpg

Blurry Retrieve
IMG_2747_zpsuzphfvws.jpg

glad you enjoyed it. a couple more days and enjoy the season. i m in Germany now so have to wait until i return but cant wait. will be home for pheasant opener

Back