Birds all over the place... Just a few miles NE of

DEDBRD

Well.. Don't get me wrong I love lurking on this forum and have met a few good folks. What I hate seeing from this forum is a guy posting in detail were they hunted and how many birds they saw. We stayed in xxx town and only hunted public. I personally feel thats something you could share in a private message. So many hunters read info posted on forums and flood the areas around said town.

As a fellow hunter that hunts that public area or SD resident who hunts public ground it brings more traffic to certain locations and makes a huge impact on the quality hunting in that area.I have obsevered this first hand pheasant hunting in kansas a few years ago. Detailed posting on two county ruined the hunting in said county for out of state hunters and locals.

I love the adventure, challenge, dog work, and journey of hunting SD public birds. I highly value my marked up hunters atlas that took numerous trips to get it that way. If yours is like mine , you know it wasn't cheap to get it that way. Please be considerate to others who also hunt said area and local.

Happy hunting. I'll be there in a couple weeks.

Dedbrd, one could argue that that is exactly what the main benefit of this forum is......access to free information about quality hunting opportunities.

I know another fishing forum I use in MN has been invaluable for information on putting a trip together to go to a great spot.

Fishing however, is done on almost completely public access waters unlike this forum that is a blend of both private lands and public lands for hunting.

So land is a little bit different than waters in that the demand for a hunting spot seems to have a little more pressure on it than the demand for a good fishing spot.

As a former hunter of many public lands in Iowa, I can share your concern about divulging the honey holes that are so hard to come by in the public arena.

My opinion is that most of the posts like that in nature are from 1 time users, who arent going back any time soon.

Same with a fishing report. if it was one time trip, they will divulge very specific location and presentation information, and let the chips fall.

Go to a duck hunting forum and post what lake you hunted at and what success you had. Good Lord, they will send hitmen and come after you with pitchforks. I've never done this cause I'm no duck hunter but I've seen it more than once.

Chris

I don't consider hunting locations anything close to fishing in a lake. For example I fish Redlake and Calm lake in Ontario every spring and fall but I'm not going to say on a message board what Points on the lake I fish. If it was a local lake and i posted all the details on a forum it would be like bumper boats out there.
GPA s maybe a few hundred acres and it doesn't take long to have it pounded to the ground. Chris ..from all the places u have leased for hunts you should see decline in hunt quality with a increase of groups going through it.

Old Hunting Book

Moving has its good points--not many but I did find an old SD Public Lands book (atlas) from the early 1980's--At that time I did not have much private land to hunt so like most I did a lot of road hunting. The maps on that old book were all marked up with the GOOD spots--Oh the memories it provided:thumbsup:

I'll just keep it to myself--half the fun was finding all those places and I would not want to deprive anyone else the pleasure of finding all the GOOD spots:D

Chris

I don't consider hunting locations anything close to fishing in a lake. For example I fish Redlake and Calm lake in Ontario every spring and fall but I'm not going to say on a message board what Points on the lake I fish. If it was a local lake and i posted all the details on a forum it would be like bumper boats out there.
GPA s maybe a few hundred acres and it doesn't take long to have it pounded to the ground. Chris ..from all the places u have leased for hunts you should see decline in hunt quality with a increase of groups going through it.

DEDBRD, I don't lease 1 acre of land in South Dakota. And my objective is to get more hunters on public lands near our camps in order to drive all the birds to us:D

Actually, the SD department of tourism probably has a bit more to do with hunters flooding areas than this or any other forum. there is just not that many people on this forum to make that much of an impact.

I think the whole purpose of this forum is for like minded pheasant hunters to exchange information, relive memories, and tell stories.
I have been blessed to have private land to hunt, so I have never had to search for public land. But, I can’t imagine that a person would plan their trip to SD based on comments on an internet forum. Now, I would think that someone might take the encouragement that public land in a certain area is huntable and try it out. Sorry, if this ruins public land for you, but it is public land for everyone.
I read this forum to hear how the hatch appears to go, how the weather is affecting the birds, and to hear others tell their hunting stories. I hope everyone continues to post as much details as they feel comfortable sharing. I, for one, truly enjoy reading all of it.
Oh, by the way, I hunted the Chip Allen WIA about 8 miles North of Mitchell SD last year. I saw three pheasants in the north east corner along the shelter belt. I saw four pheasants on the west side around the pond. I hope to see some fellow hunters there this year. I’ll wave hello if I see you there.:D

your counts off

I think the whole purpose of this forum is for like minded pheasant hunters to exchange information, relive memories, and tell stories.
I have been blessed to have private land to hunt, so I have never had to search for public land. But, I can’t imagine that a person would plan their trip to SD based on comments on an internet forum. Now, I would think that someone might take the encouragement that public land in a certain area is huntable and try it out. Sorry, if this ruins public land for you, but it is public land for everyone.
I read this forum to hear how the hatch appears to go, how the weather is affecting the birds, and to hear others tell their hunting stories. I hope everyone continues to post as much details as they feel comfortable sharing. I, for one, truly enjoy reading all of it.
Oh, by the way, I hunted the Chip Allen WIA about 8 miles North of Mitchell SD last year. I saw three pheasants in the north east corner along the shelter belt. I saw four pheasants on the west side around the pond. I hope to see some fellow hunters there this year. I’ll wave hello if I see you there.:D

sc boykin sorry to say your counts off. i shot a double at that shelter belt :D. :cheers:

For the first few years that outdoor related discussion boards/forums were around they were a great place to share information and allowed people to improve their knowledge and ultimately become better, more succesfull hunters and fisherman.

Those times seem to be long gone. All too often people that are willing to participate in a reasonable give and take get treated poorly by the "pie is finite", you can enjoy hunting as long as you do it somewhere else, stay out of my spot, my county or my state crowd.

Go over to Fishing Minnesota and look at the LOTW or Mille Lacs forums. You will see hundreds of people viewing through out the day and almost no one posting. Have not been on there in years but The Nodak Outdoors site was down right hostile to out of staters who tried to get on and participate.

Truth is most of the forums have turned into social websites where not much of substance is really shared and also places to argue politics, dog breeds or the correct shot size for wild roosters.

Back