Bird/gun training for a Goldendoodle???

srudeen

Hello,

Has anyone ever heard of a Goldendoodle (mix between a poodle and a golden retriever) being trained for birds (pheasants/ducks)???

I have found a ton of information about this breed but nothing about if this breed can be bird/gun trained.

Any information would be great!! Thank you!!

Scott

If you have not bought one, I would recomend you check into a good well bred gundog of the many good breeds already well established. If you have bought one good luck and I have no Idea. But a poodle is not high on anyones list for a gundog. I have not been able to see what any one was thinking of when they did this breeding, other then a fad. Any dog has a chance to be taught some form of hunting but the many breeds out there now excell, and those are the breeds that are already well established. Sorry I couldn't help much.

Thanks for the info. The only reason we are thinking about his breed is due to the coat being very non-allergy. My wife is allergic to most dog's dander which is why I haven't gotten a lab, etc. I'm hoping to find a breed that we can both live with. Her - no allegeries and me - can hunt. :)

Thats a good point I also wonder about. Check with th vet, and a couple of them. See if he thinks that could in fact be true. That is a bummer you have to deal with that. I am asuming you are talking about a labradoodle. Or is that a new one? I did not know they were doing this as well with goldens. If in fact you have the lack of allergies with this dog, I would think you could get them to hunt if you start it out right and young.

Last edited:
I wouldn't expect anything great, but you could probably do it. I'm sure the poodle part of the breeding hasn't been bred for hunting ability, so it would be good if you could find one where the other half has some hunting lines. With that thought, I'd be more optimistic about getting hunting ability out of a labradoodle than one that's bred from a golden, but that's just my bias.

Personally, I had a mild allergy to dogs and decided to get a lab pup anyway. While my allergies bugged me for the first few weeks, I felt like I got used to the dog and eventually didn't notice allergies at all with her. I have a springer now and had a similar pattern - some allergy symptoms for a few weeks and now nothing. Now let's see you persuade your wife to give it a shot......

Well i know that poodles were originally bred to hunt lions in africa, so im sure that there is some prey drive there...I dont know how that would transfer to birds but it might be worth a shot, weirder things have happened lol

Like any breed a lot would depend on the dam and sire. I would do some serious checking of the dam & sire. If the Golden was out of good hunting stock and the Poodle was from field stock it might be an okay combo. There are quite a number of standard Poodles used in the field. Here is a couple of web sites that I came across that might be of interest:

http://tudorosestandardpoodles.com/fieldhunting.cfm

http://www.goldendoodles.com/

What you really need is a Pudelpointer--low allergy experience, developed breed. I have seen a few golden doodles and understand they will hunt. would train like any retriever if that's how you go. They are a fad. Pudelpointers are a carefully bred dog that have been around for 150 years.

Thanks for the websites on goldendoodles! I appreciate the additional resources!

Pudelpointer? Hmmm never heard of that breed before. I'll check them out!

Thank you all for the input! :)

I started a labordoodle for a guy

did well with obediance .Fetch was ok.... not alot of DRIVE and SUCKED in the water.when said and done he had a nice pet that he could take hunting and would retrieve birds but was not a great bird finder:rolleyes:

We have trained some standard poodles for a guy. He has a pair of them. Learned some interesting facts about them. The poodle cut is actually cut the way it is to protect them from the elements. Vitals, joints, and the tip of the tail. They were originally bred for waterfowl work. The cut was done that way because it was a comprimise between saftey and ease of maintenence, as you could imagine the brairs in a coat like that. Like FCSpringer stated you woild be better off buying a well bred gun dog, but I'm sure If you already have a one you could give it a go.

Last edited:
Back