Best vest and why?

alright guys n gals. What is the best upland hunting vest and why? I usually spend 15 days a year in the fields chasing roosters, and a handful of days each year chasing ruffed grouse in the Michigan forest. I carry 1/2 box of shells with me, a garmin gps to track the dog. I am partial to a vest with a d ring to fasten the hand held unit to as I don't want to have to dig into a pocket to view it. I prefer a strap style vest as I find them cooler. I currently own and browning bird n lite strap vest, however the waist strap is broken and the vest is a medium/large and Ive added a few pounds and the vest is just a tad small on me now. I really had no issues with this vest, however I have read alot of reviews that say this vest is out dated.

I live in the South East and I don't have a shop that sells upland clothing in order to try em on, so I will be ordering online. Orvis, LL Bean, Browning, Tenzig, wing works. I'm stumped. If I was to buy right now, I'm leaning towards and Orvis wax cloth strap vest.

Thanks guys for your help.

JJ

Filson strap, the version with the leather belt ends and metal belt buckle. Made with Filson's famous tincloth, it is tough. I thread the belt end through the belt buckle holding up my pants so that the vest does not sag down in back from the weight of dog water and birds. The large bellowed pockets hold shells in when you bend over - no need for them to be snapped shut. The game bag is big enough for a big bottle of dog water, field water bowl, and a limit of pheasants. That's my two cents worth.

Last edited:
I have the Tenzing TZ BVB16 and would not suggest it. I have the large, am a trim guy, and can barely fit two pheasants in the game pouch if I have anything (like a light jacket/layer I took off) in the back pocket. Also, their customer service was horrible. The first time I used it I snagged it on some thorny brush and it caused a significant rip. Called their customer service (on hold for over 20 minutes!!) and they were rude and told me they weren't going to fix the "rip proof" vest they sold me a week prior.
I know a lot of the guys who chukar hunt like the vest, but I wasn't a big fan and the customer service didn't help either. If I were to do it again, I would get the Cabela's Prairie Runner Vest. Guys I hunt with love it and it's covered under the Cabela's warranty.

The strap vest appear to be difficult to load birds - loading is in the rear of the vest. My vest loads in the front and I push the bird(s) around to suit. Three is a crowd but I seldom have that many at one time. Just my experience...

I've tried them all and here's the deal for me; the strap is the problem. I'm not a small guy and when I shoulder the gun, bulky straps get in the way. The Filson or Orvis basic vests are the best for me; however, I've now gone to a belt with a bag and won't look back.
JMc

I have both full vests and strap vests. I use a strap vest because I can wear it on the hot or cold weather hunts.
But the full vest does hold more gear because of the extra pockets/compartments and I like the front loading (wraps around to the back) game bag.
For my strap vests.. I have a Browning strap vest. It's a heavy duty canvas material with solid stitching. has two large ammo holders and two cargo pockets in front. The game bag is a little shallow compare to others, but it works fine for a couple of birds.
I also have a Cabela's & Woolrich strap vest that I like.

Last edited:
Strap vests: doesn't the gun rest or move over/on the strap? Apparently this isn't a problem, but I think it would for me.

Straps don't go out to your shoulder where it would interfere with the gun. If they did, no thicker than a jacket or some of the padded vests so don't think you would notice.

I greatly prefer the strap vest - stays attached to your body and doesn't flap around. Lots of adjustments to custom fit. I had problems with the traditional vests - would lean over and spill a bunch of gear and shells out. Much easier to maneuver, especially in heavy cover. Cooler in the heat as well.

Downside as noted - cannot carry as much gear. Usually not an issue, but do miss the space late season when I want to carry multiple gloves, hats, and glasses. I also had an issue on a hot opener where I was wearing just an under armor shirt and the straps rubbed my nipples raw.

I use a couple different strap vest. The straps adjustment buckle can end up right where I hold my gun, so I have wrapped them in duct tape. I know, I might be a red neck. :D

Mine is a wing works , a lot of adjustment , I enjoy having the 32 Oz water bottle holders for early season hunts for watering me and the dogs . I really like the adjustment sternum strap . When I ordered mine I was available to visit with the owner and he gave me hints on sizing . The guys who developed it are hard hunting Chukar hunters . They designed the shell pockets so they don’t hit your legs as you are climbing hiking uphill / busting CRP ,

Mine is ten years old and has been the best vest I have owned in 35 years of hunting , there other you mention are good choices as well ,

Wing Works are the Cadillac. I bought an Orvis strap vest and have been generally satisfied over full vest types. I really like the metal spring bows in the shell pockets that stay open or closed. I used to drop shells going up or down steep hills. No dropping shells with the spring bows. All vests should have those IMO. The Orvis has side openings to the game pouch which are easy to put a bird in and push around. I recently bought a Q5 Rimfire, which i have not tried in the field yet.

I got my WW at a discount on this forum. After training and hunting in it for two years, I would happily pay full price for a new one. It's one of those rare outdoor products that is well thought out and well made. It's both simple and useful, kinda like a double gun. It's expensive, but I have no doubt it will last me 15 years. That works out to $15 bucks/year.

That's the price of two gas station gut-bomb meals. Helluva deal.

thanks for the recommendation

I have the Tenzing TZ BVB16 and would not suggest it. I have the large, am a trim guy, and can barely fit two pheasants in the game pouch if I have anything (like a light jacket/layer I took off) in the back pocket. Also, their customer service was horrible. The first time I used it I snagged it on some thorny brush and it caused a significant rip. Called their customer service (on hold for over 20 minutes!!) and they were rude and told me they weren't going to fix the "rip proof" vest they sold me a week prior.
I know a lot of the guys who chukar hunt like the vest, but I wasn't a big fan and the customer service didn't help either. If I were to do it again, I would get the Cabela's Prairie Runner Vest. Guys I hunt with love it and it's covered under the Cabela's warranty.

Just purchased this vest.

Wings Works hands down the best vest $$ can buy! I am going on my 4th year with mine and love wearing it. I hunt with a regular group of 3-5 guys every weekend and we all have them. You can easily fit 4-5 pheasants in the bag which is easy to load and it holds a ton of water and has great shell pockets and a nice storage compartment in the back of the vest for other stuff. Plus it is custom ordered to your specific wants/needs and your exact size! Can't get much better than that!

I haven’t tried it out yet but I just purchased a Browning Pheasants Forever vest. Got it from Wing Supply, on sale, for around $40. They retail well over $100. Really happy with it so far. Time will tell.

Back