Best Shell for pheasant hunting??

anytimeanywhere

I am an avid White tail hunter for more than 25 years, did my first Turkey hunt in 2007, and now I'm going Pheasant hunting. Seem like there are very knowlogable people here, so I would like to ask a question....

I have a Berreta Extrema, I am going Pheasant hunting at a farm in Ohio next weekend, I have been told by some to use a 3" #5 11/2 oz shot, others said that is overkill and suggest a 2 3/4 shell #5 shot. Any advice???

Last edited:
I shoot a 2 3/4 #5 shot most of the time. I have shot #4 when the birds are getting way up ahead, but 90% of the time I use #5.

I have a Berreta Extrema, I am going Pheasant hunting at a farm in Ohio next weekend, I have been told by some to use a 3" #5 11/2 oz shot, others said that is overkill and suggest a 2 3/4 shell #5 shot. Any advice???

Now you've opened a can of worms. :D

OK, I'll take the bait... The 3" 1.5oz. shells are overkill. You should never need more than 1.25oz. of shot to kill a pheasant, particularly released birds. Let the games begin. :p

Welcome to the forum, This a strange way to introduce yourself. You do it with a question? I would suggest read the board First and put your questions like this in the Proper Subject Forum Board.

For many years, I mean like 50 years or so. The standard 12 gauge upland game shell has been 1.25 ounces of shot going out at 1330FPS. That shell has killed a lot of pheasant. If I was going pheasant hunting like you are, I'd use those shells in a #5---Bob

Last edited:
First off welcome to the board.

As far as Pheasant hunting in Ohio, are these preserve birds? If I'm not mistaken doesn't the state release birds for the hunting season?

IMO you won't need the roman candle shells for pen raised birds. In fact standard load of #6's in either 1-1/8 or 1-1/4 oz (12GA) will be more than enough for those imposters. True wild birds I would follow what the others are saying about #5 shot.

Last edited:
Hey, Welcome to the forum! #6's will be plenty for pen raised! Good question though. You're gonna like it here, alot of good info and discussion!:cheers:

Welcome another Michigander! where are you from?

You might want to consider hard shot as well shell length/load/shot size (copper plated, for example). I hunt wild pheasants with 2.75" #5 early season, #4 late season.
-Croc

I'm sure I'll be the only guy on the site to post this choice, but I use a high-brass 1 1/4oz, #7 1/2 for the first couple of outings IF there are plenty of young birds for the dogs to point. Shooting them within 20 yards doesn't require a large load. It doesn't take long to start breaking out the #5's, and by January (or even warm days in Nov. and Dec.) I'll use 4's. #4's are great if you don't want to have to chase em'! I regularly run across roosters while I'm hunting quail in E KS. I hunt quail with low-brass 1 1/8oz #7 1/2 or #8 and if a rooster jumps up within 20 yards, I never have a problem taking him down (a member of this forum can back me on this one!!) and I've done it that way all my life. NO 30+yd attempts whatsoever though.....you'll likely only cripple them. Only quick, close range shots....

If I were hunting pen-raised birds, I wouldn't think twice about using high-brass 7 1/2's exclusively. It only takes one BB in the head and they go down and there are a lot more BBs in a 7 1/2 than there are in a 4. Let's face it, if a kid can kill em' with a 4-10 with a #6 in it, a 12gauge with a heavy high-brass 7 1/2 should be able to get the job done.

There it is guys....jump all over it;)

Last edited:
All the replies are reasonable and logical.

South Dakota suggests #4s in its pheasant hunting info package. That sort of turned my head since South Dakota must know what it's talking about in the pheasant department.

Pheasants are not invincible, but they are tough: if they aren't dead or devastated, they will run like race horses.

Pheasants have probably been killed with everything from #8 to buckshot. However, #4, #5 & #6 are probably the most used and everyone has there own preference. I personally like #5's and use them from the opening weekend to close. The one probalem with 7 1/2 shot is that I hate picking all the pellets out of the meat. Any good or premium 2 3/4" shell with 1 1/4 oz of shot with a muzzle velocity of 1,300 to 1,500 fps will work fine. I like the Federal Premium Pheasant Forever loads. 2 3/4" with 1 1/4 oz of copper-plated shot at 1,500 fps.

It is nice to have the extra speed! I too enjoy using anything that is 1500fps, but I don't like paying for them:eek:

Dakotazeb makes a good point about having to pull more shot out of the meat. When I'm out on a pheasant/quail combo where either one might be getting up at anytime, I don't like having a #4 in the chamber:D

Federal Premium Pheasant Forever Loads...all the way!

I agree with Dakotazeb on the Federal Premium Pheasant Forever loads. 2 3/4 "#4 with 1 1/4 oz of copper-plated shot at 1,500 fps. It is all I ever shoot when hunting wild birds in SD!

I've witnessed guys traveling all the way to SD and buying cheap bargain shells...and then wondering why the roosters fly away!

Many of your shots are of roosters flying almost straight away from you and so you are shooting them in the rear end. When you go to clean birds....with the copper plated 4's at 1500 fps you often find shot that has entered into body cavity and stoned that tough rooster!

Pen raised, close flushing birds....a whole other story!

I agree with Dakotazeb on the Federal Premium Pheasant Forever loads. 2 3/4 "#4 with 1 1/4 oz of copper-plated shot at 1,500 fps. It is all I ever shoot when hunting wild birds in SD!

Ditto... 2 3/4" #4 Federal Premium PF 1 1/4 oz loads are all I've shot the last two seasons as well. I'm sold on their killing power but I still wonder if the increased recoil of the 1500fps loads are the best choice when used with lighter guns (< 7 lbs.).

You guys have got it right. I too use mostly Federal Premium PF loads in 4 or 5 shot. I love the 1500 fps they deliver. I did use Kent fast lead this winter when I couldn't find any of the Federal Premium ammo. The 3 inch mags did pack a punch though. It worked well, and I chose it because I use fast steel when I duck hunt and have been impressed with it.

If your hunting pen raised birds, 6 shot is all you need.

Why Not Winchester?

Cabelas didn't have the Federal PF loads. This year I bought and shot Winchester Super-X hi-brass #5. 2 3/4", 1 1/4oz.

I thought they were awesome. I had been shooting another brand (Fiocchi golden pheasant) of #6, and was much more impressed by the Super-X #5s. Not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison since it was two different shot sizes, but I was more than satisfied by the Winchesters.

How come nobody shoots Winchester? I shot Federal PF loads years ago, but not recently enough to make a comparison. FWIW, I didn't care for the Fiocchi's. I had several gun jams in the first box. None with the Winchester.

Toad, I shoot Remington and Winchester on occasion. Reason being because I like to reload for my 20 gauge. I like to load a 1 ounce shot. And with the pressure at what it is. I can only make them go 1220FPS. But they kill just as well as the 1300 and 1500FPS factory stuff. So I am happy. Then too I load shot sizes That are not readily available in the stores.

On the South Dakota recommending 4 shot. The dog of choice for most hunters there is a Flushing Lab. It is a proven fact the heavier shot retains its' killing power at longer distances. I am surprised they don't recommend an Improved Modified or Full Choke Barrel. For 30 to 40 yard shots I understand are common there.

Great Info. - Thanks!!!!

Thanks to all, for the great information, it seems to be the general oppion is that #5 or #6 shot is the best for farm (pen) raised birds with 1300-1500 fps is the best round for this type of hunting. Before I posted this thread I bought 3",#5 1350fps, copper coated shot - shells, I will use those on Saturday and give you all my opinion. Again, thanks for the guidance.

Last edited:
Best Shell for pheasant hunting?

Welcome to the site!! My 2 cents worth is you do not need a 3" shell for pheasants, especially pen raised. I shot nothing but 20 gauge all year long and do well out to 40 yards. As important if not more is the choke you will be using. I would recommend a skeet or I.C. choke if shooting preserve birds. Enjoy yourself............

Back