Best hunt ever.

Post your best hunts ever in anticpation of the 2006 pheasant season.

Year: 1991

Hunters: My dad, my dads friend, myself, two bozos from Wisconson that we met at the bar, 2 locals that took us out for free.

The hunt: The locals said to meet them on Sat at the bar around noon, and they would take up hunting. They showed up about 1:00 and wanted to get something to eat. So about 2:00 we finially head out. We stop next to a 160acre picked corn field. I'm thinking, "we waited around for two hours to hunt a picked corn field?" The locals tell us to walk 1/2 mile through the picked corn sneak over to the end and that there are a few rows of corn the farmer left. Next to these rows is about 25 foot wide grass strip to the property line. It looked decent but not great.

The results: In that one 1/2 mile pass of standing corn about 10 rows wide with 5 walkers and 2 blockers we shot 21 roosters, and missed at least twice that many.

The funny part: The two bozos from Wisconson didn't shoot any birds but after each volley they would ask us, "hey dar, anybody else shoot?"

This sounds like our opening day family hunt every year!!
I've learned that locals look at pheasant huting in a whole different light than non-residents. It is tradition to not move too fast when pheasant hunting in SD!!:)

One of my most memeorable hunt is the one where my avitar picture was from. I hunted 4 days very late season and got 3 birds each of 4 days. Just me and the dog. Very different from the large opening day groups.

However, we are recruiting about 20 guys for opener this year to get birds out of the corn.

Best hunt was probably in 1987, in Bonesteel SD. The day started at daybreak near Rahn lake deer hunting, we shot our deer by 8 Am and had them hung shortly there after. We then went out pheasant hunting at 10:00 and it didn't tale long to bag 9 roosters. We were sitting at camp by Noon and decided to go try some fishing below the dam, and with that the day ended with everyone's limit of 'eyes. It was a very fun day, one that won't every be forgotten......

best hunt ever

We were hunting with 2 brittanys and 1 brittany/shorthair cross in central kansas, 2004. We bagged 20 roosters with 5 guys just before noon. We all had lunch and 2 of the hunters went home. The 3 of us that stayed went quail hunting and bagged 23 quail by 2:30 p.m. My 1yr. old brittany, who's now 3, was experiencing her 1st wild bird hunt along with my 10yr. old cousin who was experiencing his 1st bird hunt as well. Sounds like the same oppurtunities are possible this year the week after the pheasant season opener.

Best hunt ever... November 11th 2006
Although it hasnt happened I know it will be my most memorable. Why? Because my 9 year old son and 11 year old daughter just finished hunters safely last month and they are WICKED excited about our first family hunt. Burlington Colorado Rooster Roundup --- me, my best friend Erinn, my two beautiful children and my 5 month old German Shorthair Pointer...
Can it get any better than this???

OMG, that post is hilarious NOPLCLKNEB! I don't know how I missed that.

So let me guess, you have been hunting with your 2 bozo friends from Wisc ever since?

I was out in Hoven, SD this year for the 2006 south dakota pheasant opener for the "Good Ol' Boys" hunt. It was a good time. We went to a local party downtown Hoven and somehow some woman asked me to guess her age and let me just say this... I over shot it. Yes, it wasn't pretty. Why do women do that? I should have lied.

I hear you UGUIDE... I think it is a South Dakota tradition to mess around until about 1pm before you decide to hunt. I can here the song going in the background... "A Hitzmen Tradition..."

Webguy, I have an age guessing tip for you that is foolproof. Always say "24". That way if you over shoot it's cool since everyone one under 24 is trying to look older. Anyone over 24 is trying to look younger.

Works good, last long time. Mongo out....

My best hunt is any time I grab the Gun, Call the Dog and get that fresh air breeze against my face. I d:D on't even need a bird to fall. I just wanna be out there!

Hunters: My dad, my dads friend, myself, two bozos from Wisconson that we met at the bar, 2 locals that took us out for free.

The funny part: The two bozos from Wisconson didn't shoot any birds but after each volley they would ask us, "hey dar, anybody else shoot?"

It's not nice to make fun of us bozos from Wisconsin. All the Beer, Brats & Cheese throws our shooting off. :p :beer:

JMB

Back