Best dog collar?

tugnuts

Relatively new to pheasant hunting, actually bringing a dog pheasant hunting. Usually make it out once or twice a year. recently bought a german shorthair and I want to start training him and get out more often with him. What is the best e collar to buy? I heard tritronics was the best brand and ended up buying the G3 sport combo and I am debating wether it was the one to buy or not. I don't want to spend much more than $300. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I hear Tritronics is a great brand. I bought a Dogtra 2002 (two dog model) and absolutely love it. Great variance in electronic stimulus levels with paging (vibrating), nick and continous modes of stimulous. I got it off ebay pretty cheap only about $250. I have never had an issue with range I have "reached out" and touched my dog an entire field away from me and got him to come back in with the collar. the range is up to 1.5 miles reportedly, although that is under perfect flat conditions. For me its a great collar. Only issue is the toggle switch broke on the transmitter, but Dogtra was good and got it fixed for me.

Dog Collar

TriTronics is a good brand. I recently purchased a Dogtra 1500 1 dog model and am very satisfied with it. I borrowed the Dogtra model previous to the purchase. It has a 1/2 mile range and was $240 brand new. For the $ I am very happy. I don't get caught up in the real long ranges because if you have spent any time with your dog there is no reason the dog should be out of stimulant range. I would definitly buy Dogtra in the future.

Tritronics

I really can't add much more to the forum, but if it's any help? I used to be a Tritronics distributer here in NY. I ventured into a business that I thought would be a nice sideline. Unfortunately I was wrong, but I just have to add that their (tritronics) customer service and support is second to none!

Making easier for dogs to learn - since 1968!

No other collar is in the same league with Tri-tronics. A sport G3 is a very good purchase. Customer service and resale is second to none.

Good Luck, Hunt Safe and Take Lots of Pictures!

collars

Tri-tronics I have trained many dogs using this old set of field 70 2 dog set. I had problems right out of the gate they fixed everything for free . Now The batterys are shot on the whole outfit so back they go. This time I think its going to cost Me. P.S there is an outfit on the net called collar clinic who sell refurbished and new collars and also repair your collars check them out..www.collarclinic.com hope this info is usefull

I don't use one, and I don't know much about pointers, so I can't help with your specific question. However, you might be interested in an article reviewing 12 new collars in the current issue of "Wildfowl" - they're geared for water dogs of course, but I don't think there are any fundamental differences except that they are usually fully waterproof - which is probably a good thing either way!
-Croc

A few things here, one make sure you and your dog are conditioned properly to the collar, it is not a put on to teach, it is a re inforcement of already learned commands, and maybe you know all of this already. Two if you are going to be doing alot of water work , getcha one that at least has a waterproof collar. Three the G3 is a great little collar, TT makes a great collar, with great customer service, as does Dogtra, I have one of each, some folks have had some success with the sportdog brand I have never used one, and have heard of some issues with the buttons, but they were all replaced free of charge, the Collar Clinic is a great place to get a used collar and to have service done as well, I have used them too. Four congrats on the dog and have some fun go slow and enjoy the training, maybe check out your local shorthair club and visit a pro trainer for some tips.
Hope this helps some,
Chip :cheers:

Shock Collars

I use a D.T. Systems single dog model. I like it because it has four stimulus modes -- vibration only, vibe then voltage, nick of voltage, or continuous voltage (as long as you hold the button down). It also has a voltage regulator dial so if your dog is close you can turn it down so you don't hurt it and then crank it up if it's far away. I am not familiar with the TriTronic make but the options on the D.T. seem excellent for training. Good luck training your dog and have a great hunting season.

Last edited:
Good Old Made In The U.S.A TriTronic for me...:D

Back