Best Digital Trail Cam?

BritChaser

Whats the best digital trail cam, preferably motion-activated. I know nothing about them except for some excellent pics posted in this forum. Thank you!

I don't know that they are the best, but I bought a couple of Bushnell at walmart for $99.

I have been using them for a couple of years and they are still taking good pics.

The Homebrew camera's seem to be the best and that is what Chuck uses. He can direct you to a website that is devoted to home builds that take awesome pic's.:cheers:

I can't argue with the quality of those pics being fantastic. I always love the Trail Cam threads he posts.:10sign:

But for the rest of us... For a whole lot less $$, you can get a perfectly satisfactory trail camera that is motion activated, and you won't have to worry about your DSLR getting stolen if someone happens upon your setup. And unless you are a very serious photographer, you will be happy with the pics you get. Most of the new generation ones have at least 8mp or more for daytime photos, and the pics come out very nice for most people's purposes of seeing the wildlife on their property.

If you want to start selling prints, making posters and calendars, and get super serious about wildlife photography, then start building! If you just want some neat pictures of deer and other game, then any decent trail cam should satisfy your curiosity and the pictures are plenty good enough to email to friends, post online, or even have them printed in a modest size.

My last trail cam was definitely under $200 on sale, and I have been totally happy with it. Aside from still pics, it will also shoot videos of whatever length I want, and the batteries last for months.

Mount it to the base of a large tree or to a post, or you will get a lot of false triggers from wind blowing the tree around.

Just my .02

I can't argue with the quality of those pics being fantastic. I always love the Trail Cam threads he posts.:10sign:

But for the rest of us... For a whole lot less $$, you can get a perfectly satisfactory trail camera that is motion activated, and you won't have to worry about your DSLR getting stolen if someone happens upon your setup. And unless you are a very serious photographer, you will be happy with the pics you get. Most of the new generation ones have at least 8mp or more for daytime photos, and the pics come out very nice for most people's purposes of seeing the wildlife on their property.

If you want to start selling prints, making posters and calendars, and get super serious about wildlife photography, then start building! If you just want some neat pictures of deer and other game, then any decent trail cam should satisfy your curiosity and the pictures are plenty good enough to email to friends, post online, or even have them printed in a modest size.

My last trail cam was definitely under $200 on sale, and I have been totally happy with it. Aside from still pics, it will also shoot videos of whatever length I want, and the batteries last for months.

Mount it to the base of a large tree or to a post, or you will get a lot of false triggers from wind blowing the tree around.

Just my .02

What brand do you recommend? Thank you.

What brand do you recommend? Thank you.

I have had very good luck with the Brownings. I run them year round and get lots of pics and with Energizer Litheum batteries I am getting over a year between battery changes. They are $100 give or take $25 depending on model and if on sale.

The Homebrew camera's seem to be the best and that is what Chuck uses. He can direct you to a website that is devoted to home builds that take awesome pic's.:cheers:

I watched a video on building a homebrew. Thats a Little technical for someone like me. Lol. I wonder if chuck can start buildin/selling them?

I bought a used Sony cyber shot S600 and had the guy re wire it for me for 20 bucks I think. Bought the camo box and kit and now I am starting to put it together. Chuch directed me to the site and this guy. Me and a buddy are starting to put out cameras. This will be the first homebrew. Here is a pic he got around new year and wish the quality was better.. It will be with the camera I am working on..
kitty%202_zpsz9ybdcmc.jpg

All I run are Bushnell Trophy Cams and at times I will have ten to twelve running. I have had pretty good luck with them. Occasionally will have issues, but overall they have been good. I did have a source at Bushnell that made my choice pretty easy. Not having that source anymore I did purchase a couple Bushnells from Dick's recently and did go ahead and add an extra year on the warranty giving me three years. I figure if I can get three years out of them it will be good, although I have some that are five to six years old and still going.

Probably my next trail cams will be cell based and I am excited to give them a try prior to deer season this fall.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/trail-cameras-feeders/trail-cameras-accessories%7C/pc/104791680/c/104767380/sc/103867380/cabela-s-outfitter-12mp-black-ir-hd-trail-camera/1999329.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ftrail-cameras-accessories%2F_%2FN-1100176%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103867380

If the link works, this is the most recent one I purchased last Summer. I've been satisfied with it. Before this one, I had some real cheap-o units that worked fine also, but didn't have a viewing screen inside them. With the old ones I would have to pull out the memory cards and view the pics on my laptop or conventional digital camera. With this model I can look at the pics on a little view screen inside the trailcam without pulling the memory card, which is handy.

I'm planning to pull the camera this Friday when I go to the farm to cut firewood. I should be able to post a couple of the pics from it, and I can show you the lock box I made for it.

I'm not claiming it's any better than any other trail cam. But it's been working for me.:thumbsup:

Guys, thanks for your responses and valuable information. I appreciate it. :D

I bought a used Sony cyber shot S600 and had the guy re wire it for me for 20 bucks I think. Bought the camo box and kit and now I am starting to put it together.

Under what profession did you find someone to do that for you Bleu? There's a computer repair shop a few doors down from my shop. I'm thinking they may be able to do something like this:confused: Also, were did you get your camo box/kit?

Thank you

Nick

Under what profession did you find someone to do that for you Bleu? There's a computer repair shop a few doors down from my shop. I'm thinking they may be able to do something like this:confused: Also, were did you get your camo box/kit?

Thank you

Nick

This is a good place to learn:http://www.camtrapper.com/

Here is where I got my kit and the guy hacked the camera for me. I sent the camera to him and if you buy the kit he will hack the camera for a small fee.

http://www.snapshotsniper.com/Links.htm

Does anyone know what camera chuck is using? I thought I read somewhere he had P41.:confused:

Britchaser--- sorry I'm stealing your thread my friend
Nick

Does anyone know what camera chuck is using? I thought I read somewhere he had P41.:confused:

Britchaser--- sorry I'm stealing your thread my friend
Nick

He has an several different ones. Not sure what he has moved up too, but if you go back through his threads I know he has some of them listed. You can find the used camera's you need on ebay. I got mine for like 39 bucks. If you join up at camtrapper and ask how to get started and what camera is the easiest for a newbie they will lead you in the right direction. Chuck is on that site as well..I am not a lot of help as I am a newbie as well and just getting started with my first build.:cheers:

Bleu, nice kitty.

Thanks Maynard...I think this is one of the cubs of the female 2 years ago.. She had 2 and one was injured pretty good..She is much longer and a bit larger than this one..Lots of cats in this country along with Bears and even some grey and red fox and of course some yotes.

Back