Benelli shotgun

Deweybagger

Wondering if anyone has any experience or info on the Benelli Ultralight, we currently have two SBEII's and a montefeltro sporting which I love all of them but the montefeltro has the high rib(which I love) ported barrel, from what I understand you can't shoot all types of wads through the ported barrel, I'd get another monte but I don't like the lower rib of the standard model, so, the ultralight has a high rib and looks very similar but I haven't been able to find one to handle.....

Any info or thoughts?

Thanks!

I own two BUL's. Do you have any specific questions? I can tell you they have both been extremely reliable. My understanding is that the Ultra Light is a light version of the Monte. I have no idea if their rib heights differ.

I own two BUL's. Do you have any specific questions? I can tell you they have both been extremely reliable. My understanding is that the Ultra Light is a light version of the Monte. I have no idea if their rib heights differ.

I was wondering if they were similar in feel, I do know from their web sight the ultralight has a carbon fiber high rib and a light weight receiver, if it's base feel is like the montefeltro with a high rib it might be my new pheasant/grouse gun.

Looking at pictures of both guns on the Benelli website, I see what you mean about the UL appearing to have a higher rib (carbon fiber) compared to the Monte (steel, I guess).

I'd get the stock dimensions for both. I'm betting they're identical. Again, I could be wrong, but the UL is a light weight version of the Monte, i.e. aluminum receiver, carbon fiber rib, short magazine tube, etc.

david0311

Wondering if anyone has any experience or info on the Benelli Ultralight, we currently have two SBEII's and a montefeltro sporting which I love all of them but the montefeltro has the high rib(which I love) ported barrel, from what I understand you can't shoot all types of wads through the ported barrel, I'd get another monte but I don't like the lower rib of the standard model, so, the ultralight has a high rib and looks very similar but I haven't been able to find one to handle.....

Any info or thoughts?

Thanks!

Had one quite some time now along with a M-2 that I already had before the BUL--Great gun in my opinion extremly dependable (if you watch out for the Benilli click)

Shot thousands of rounds in training and at field trial's and would be ashamed to tell you how long it went between a good cleaning with out problems--and that was with cheap dirty shell-RIO-estates ect.

One thing though you would not want to shoot a hundred clays a day with heave loads--Kent--or and super heavy fast loads--no problem for hunting but that would be miserable--as for 3 inch heavy loads--different gun called for:)

Loved the M2 as well but gave to my son--no need

david0311

out of curiosity, what do you mean by - watch out for the Benilli click

It's a reference to the a issue with the Benelli inerta system --if the bot is not full forward and locked the firearm will not fire you just hear a click--caused by the bolt not being fully locked--you must let the bolt slam forward to lock fully in place and make sure it remains so--and not bumped out of locked position

Not a big deal and not very often--probably should not have even mentioned it--still love the gun--:cheers:

Got it. I have a monte and I have never had that shooting, but when I first moved from a pump to the auto, I often would open the chamber the see if a shell was in and didn't lock it in firmly! After "clicking" and missing a few birds, I quickly realized the issue.

I have found it hard to use my benilli monte as a road hunting gun... the bolt needs a bit of force behind the shell. Tends to be noisy and busts the birds... if loaded quietly I can place one shell only as it tends to misfire if the bolt is not closed convincingly. I love my gun for the weight,accuracy and beauty; just not stealthy.

I think the OP's question has been answered. Just to add to the thread.

I just obtained a Benelli Montefeltro Sport and Field. Traded in three inexpensive shotguns to buy it. I had very recently bought the third one. Didn't like it at all when shooting. Was thinking back.
I used to have a SBE. Also a really nice Browning Ultra Sporting Clays O/U. I had money. Almost died from diabetes causing weight loss. Lost everything. Back then... I remember really really liking that SBE. I had bought the SBE because I didn't like bringing my Browning out in bad weather. I ended up taking the SBE more often simply because I liked it so much. So I thought I'd be better off with a Monte now than these three inexpensive ones. I'm very happy I did. I love this Monte. It's walnut stock. 28" barrel.

Last edited:
Found a ultralight at a local GM, what a sweet feeling gun and a beautiful piece of wood, almost to nice to take into the field....

The carbon fiber high rib isn't as nice lookin in person, especially on that nice wood, almost has a futuristic and classical look in one.

Fit and feel is awesome for me, love the feel and how it pulls up plus I have all the possible Benelli crio chokes and Carlson tubes.

So the main noticeable difference between the monte and the ul is the high rib and the short magazine tube, also has a similar recoil pad as the SBE2.

I'm going to put this gun in my collection as a specialty gun as I'm going to run my dog in the NATHA events this year and speed is the name of the game!
its also on sale! :D

I picked one up at GM too after reading and researching the likes and dislikes other folks/hunters and "experts" posted about it on some other forums. It fits me great, although I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I also ordered some 12 Ga 2 3/4 1250 1 1/8 loads in #5 and #6 for early season (Hevi Upland).

I picked one up at GM too after reading and researching the likes and dislikes other folks/hunters and "experts" posted about it on some other forums. It fits me great, although I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I also ordered some 12 Ga 2 3/4 1250 1 1/8 loads in #5 and #6 for early season (Hevi Upland).

Good luck, let me know how the hevi shot works in the magazine, we hunt a lot of public land here in Wisconsin and you have to have nontoxic so I picked up a bunch of hevi metal 3", still have most of it as it would just randomly pop out of the tube on three different Benelli gun??

On a different note do you know The former welterweight champ from down there?

Hevi Upland is an all lead load. I was looking for a 1 1/8 oz load in #5 not having much luck and came across this one. I'm not sure what I'll shoot for non-toxic yet, prefer 2 3/4 instead of 3". Maybe just steel unless I find Bismuth or TM on sale somewhere.

Robbie is still fighting, now lives in Granite City Ill I think.

Last edited:
Not sure but the hevi metal had a weird round taper on the brass, that's why it would slip out of the tube, guessing the use all the same base for their shot shells?? Could be wrong.

I was thinking Matt Hughes but now thinking back he just trained with the MFS along with some other big names of those days.

Back