Benelli SBE vs. Beretta 391 Urika 2

EdgeWater

Outside for the 3.5" chamber, any feedback on significant differences between the two and any users of either.

I currently pheasant and duck hunt with a Remington 870 Wingmaster and looking for an automatic, relatively light weight. I perfer the traditional wood stock, matt finish is fine.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Both are great, but I find fit is quite different between Beretta and Benelli. If you can find your way to shoulder both and choose from there I don't think that you can go wrong. One factor is recoil reduction - there is (argueably) less recoil in the gas-operated Urika (especially if fitted with Kick-Off) than the SBE (although the new Comfort-Tech stock helps a lot). These features are, of course, only available in synthetic stocks though.
Happy shopping!
-Croc

I was trying to decide between a 391 and Montefeltro a 6 years ago. Went to a range that sold both and allowed you to use them on their sporting clays range. I like how the 391 handled, so that is what I bought. See if you can't find a range or buddy that has them, handle and shoot them both, go with the one that you prefer.

Before that I had always shot 870's. I don't think I'd ever go back now.

If you hunt hard ... buy the 391 Ureka in Synthetic stock only. I have a 391 Urika Optima and the forearm cracked ... twice... First one Beretta replaced free. Second one was my fault, but it was not treated any rougher than I treat other guns. My inspection tells me the Urika Optima foreend wood is too thin in some key spots.

I purchased synthetic stock and foreend from a gun warehouse and switched it over.

That said the action runs very smooth ... light skeet loads to 3.5" mags ... no issue no matter the conditions.

The 391 would be more of an upland gun due to it's lighter weight. With the plug out it holds 4 shells total and the safety is in front of the trigger group. The Benelli would work but it's considered a waterfowl gun primarily and I beleive with the plug out it holds 5 shells total and the safety is in the rear of the trigger group. The 391 is gas operated and the Benelli is inertia. The commom thought is that a gas gun has less felt recoil. The trigger position is a key factor I think if you are not used to the safety in front of the trigger group, it takes a bit to get used to. Both are considered great shotguns and are very reliable. For upland, the 3 1/2 inch shell capacity should be a non-factor-not needed.

Agree that Beretta markets the Ureka to upland and the Extrema to waterfowl hunters .... that said ...

Upland / waterfowl .... my 391 Ureka Optima did not know the difference I was the one pulling the trigger and the gun was very effective on both.

note ... unless you are chasing only spring snow geese, better have the plug in when chasing wasterfowl.

I have a new in box Beretta 3901 synthetic 12 gauge for sale, along with a Benelli Nova 3.5" 12 gauge, and a Browning BPS Camo 10 gauge. All new in box.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm trying to get to Cabelas or somewhere I can lay the three or four models I'm interested in side by side.

The feedback on the safety is very relevant. I am very comfortable with my 870 and it would take some time to make the change.

Walnut stock is pretty important to me, call me old school, and the feel will be the ultimate decider. I'm checking into a range that sells the models I'm after to check out the feel.

My buddy has the Montefeltro and I really like the feel, only condisered the 3.5" chamber for turkey hunting, but people have been shooting them with 2 3/4 for year and with the new loads, I'm sure a 3" has some serious power to them.

As you can tell by my last post, I'm pretty undecided and I still have to get clearance from the accountant -aka my wife.

The 391 Urika should be at least a few hundered dollars cheaper than the SBE if you are talking a new gun. I personally use a 391 Urika 28 inch field model for pheasants and have a Benelli Sport 11 as a back-up-as well as several other guns if needed. The weight, feel to you, safety position and of course price are the key considerations.

Thanks for the feedback. I pulled the trigger tonight and bought a Benelli Montefeltro!

Now the waiting, due to the holiday, I dont get to shoot it for another 10 days! But, enough time to get comfortable before the trip up to South Dakota.

SBE vs Urika

As a rule, the inertia gun (SBE) will also be cleaner since you don't have the gas and spent powder blowing back into the action. If you keep your gun clean it won't matter, but after ~200-500 rounds it may make a difference with a gas operated gun. The SBE only holds 4 shells--plenty for me, but I have to admit that I have killed more than a couple with a 5th shot I had with my 11-87.

To me there is substantial difference in how those two guns fit--you should get the one that fits you the best.

Back