Benelli Montefeltro 12ga.

870-Lefty

Anyone use one of these as their pheasant gun? If so, how do you like it? I have a chance to buy a brand new left handed one with 26" barrel for a very good price. I don't really need another left hand 12ga. semi-auto as I have a 1100, 1187 Premier Light Contour, and a Benelli M-1, all left handed. Was just curious about the Montefeltro.

Anyone use one of these as their pheasant gun? If so, how do you like it? I have a chance to buy a brand new left handed one with 26" barrel for a very good price. I don't really need another left hand 12ga. semi-auto as I have a 1100, 1187 Premier Light Contour, and a Benelli M-1, all left handed. Was just curious about the Montefeltro.

My brother in law has one for pheasants only and can't hit anything with it, the barrel is lower and he seems to peek a lot, with the lower rib on the barrel he really has to keep his head down tight on the stock (which he should anyways) but when he shoots my sbe2 he's right on, must fit him better. Long story short he wishes he'd spent the extra on the sbe2 but has no use for the 3.5" chamber.They do look nice! If it fits that's the one, good luck!

I have a lefty 28" barrel, and I have no complaints. Never had a malfunction or a miss-feed in the field or at the clays course. Swings nicely, and shoots smoothly. No problems carrying it all day in the field. Can't ask for much more than that.

If someone can't shoot a particular gun, it's most likely not the gun's fault. Go see a gunsmith and get the thing fit properly, or take some shooting lessons.

That being said, if you already have three left-hand semi autos, why get another?

I have a lefty 28" barrel, and I have no complaints. Never had a malfunction or a miss-feed in the field or at the clays course. Swings nicely, and shoots smoothly. No problems carrying it all day in the field. Can't ask for much more than that.

If someone can't shoot a particular gun, it's most likely not the gun's fault. Go see a gunsmith and get the thing fit properly, or take some shooting lessons.

That being said, if you already have three left-hand semi autos, why get another?

The Montifeltro is a lot lighter. I will be 61 soon and am feeling it!

Can't argue with you there. Compared to the others, it would be much easier to lug around for the day. Like I said, I am quite happy with mine. Now if I could just find some birds...

I have one in 26". I love it, it has become my go to gun. Light weight is the claim to fame, and I don't care for 3 1/2" shells.

I have one in 26". I love it, it has become my go to gun. Light weight is the claim to fame, and I don't care for 3 1/2" shells.

X2. I have had one for a few years. I love it when somebody says so and so can't hit anything with it. Has to be the gun right:D. If you like the look, the feel and can afford it buy it. They are great guns.

I owned one for more than a dozen years and it was a great gun. Mine had a 24" barrel. Yes, they have a lower rib but that shouldn't mean you can't hit with it. I actually preferred the lower rib versus a raised rib.

I owned one for more than a dozen years and it was a great gun. Mine had a 24" barrel. Yes, they have a lower rib but that shouldn't mean you can't hit with it. I actually preferred the lower rib versus a raised rib.

I agree about him being able to shoot the gun, he handcuffs himself by not using the shims to adjust the stock angle and shooting it until it fits his shooting style....head up peeking isn't a good style, that's probably the first thing that needs to be adjusted! The montefeltro is a sweet gun and at $700. Less than 3.5" sbe2 it makes perfect sense! I may not have been clear, alls I was saying he can't hit with his, operator error! Lower rib which most don't look at when buying but may effect how well you shoot it...especially without a good cheek weld. Also with him being a bigger guy he's a little more stretched out with the longer receiver and higher rib on the sbe2 he's not so crammed on the stock for head space, again head up probably shooting over mast everything with his monty. Anyways good luck and have a happy holidays!

I have the super 90 model monty, in 28". I love the gun, its a joy to carry, and Shoots just fine. :cheers:

I have a super 90 Monti that is about 10 years old and it is still my go to ditch chicken gun. I tried a few different shims that came with the gun and settled on the "C" shim combo for me. It is a real reliable killer that handles all ammo well, carries like a dream and swings beautifully. I would recommend it to anyone.

Monte

Superb gun. Great fit and finish. Looks classic!

High rib...low rib - guess it depends on how the gun is mounted with each individual.

Have shot an A5 Browning for years (very high rib) and it seems to mount faster and more consistent than my Brng. Gold.

Shims at the receiver, top of the stock, should help with stock crawl or too much barrel in line of sight.

I had a 28" lefty Monte a few years ago, and liked it a lot. However, I switched to a Browning Maxus to get away from the recoil. An inertia gun is OK for lighter loads, but you really need a gas gun for heavy hunting loads.

I agree about him being able to shoot the gun, he handcuffs himself by not using the shims to adjust the stock angle and shooting it until it fits his shooting style....head up peeking isn't a good style, that's probably the first thing that needs to be adjusted! The montefeltro is a sweet gun and at $700. Less than 3.5" sbe2 it makes perfect sense! I may not have been clear, alls I was saying he can't hit with his, operator error! Lower rib which most don't look at when buying but may effect how well you shoot it...especially without a good cheek weld. Also with him being a bigger guy he's a little more stretched out with the longer receiver and higher rib on the sbe2 he's not so crammed on the stock for head space, again head up probably shooting over mast everything with his monty. Anyways good luck and have a happy holidays!

Exactly--He needs to shim the gun. I know what my drop needs to be. I own a Monty and a SBE 11. I see zero difference in accuracy but they are both shimmed the same.

Exactly--He needs to shim the gun. I know what my drop needs to be. I own a Monty and a SBE 11. I see zero difference in accuracy but they are both shimmed the same.

They are shimmed the same?

How's the river look over there, I worked over there last week then I heard they closed the bridge this past weekend...

I had a 28" lefty Monte a few years ago, and liked it a lot. However, I switched to a Browning Maxus to get away from the recoil. An inertia gun is OK for lighter loads, but you really need a gas gun for heavy hunting loads.

I dont find the recoil that bad and I regularly shoot 3" number 2s. In high brass. The recoil is not bad if you shoulder the gun right. LOL I have had it kick the heck out of me a time or two when I didnt have a good shoulder mount.

They are shimmed the same?

How's the river look over there, I worked over there last week then I heard they closed the bridge this past weekend...

River is/was (since I'm just now seeing your quote) the worst I've seen. Living here I avoid downtown though. The bridge has since reopened I'm sure you've heard.

Shimmed the same--Many years ago I bought a Stoeger 2000. It didn't come with shims ( I don't even know if it's shimmable) and I had zero knowledge of shimming. I've shot many many birds with this gun. A few years ago I bought a SBE II. First time out I missed 10 birds (not kidding). Man was i pissed. Here I thought I bought this kick butt gun and couldn't hit a damn thing. I started reading in the manual about drop and it finally occurred to me check it. Took a straight edge off the rib of "old reliable" and measured to the butt of the gun. 2 3/4" SBE- 1 3/4" shimmed them the same. Problem fixed.

Back