Beeper Collars

JC1963

Do you feel they work on your dog ? Holding birds or flushing birds ahead ? Mine is a Tritonics single beep . Continous beep with a pause . I have had positive and negetive during the hunt . Quail and hens it doesn't seem to bother when pointed ? Roosters depends on cover you hunting in . If you can get a point ,flush and a kill . Any feed back will make a interesting read .

As far as helping with pheasants I think they hurt if anything, personally I only use them for locating purposes. I have it integrated with the transmitter so that I can make it beep at will. I very rarely leave it on point mode or point and locate mode because I do not like the extra noise, but in cattails or tall CRP and knowing where you dogs are they are invaluable. Cant wait to see how the new Tri-Tronics one works!!!

I have used one on my GSP for nine years. Not sure what model it is but as the same type beep you described. I know the quail could care less. As for the pheasant I think it messes with them some. That said it probally has helped bag a few extra birds over the years by knowing exactly where the dog is.

Have used a beeper collar for over 20 years and have killed lots of quail and pheasants over a pointing dog with a beeper going off. Beeper collars have gotten much better over the years and the one I use now can control from the transmitter and when on have set so beeps as long as there moving but when they stop a hawk scream goes off and this sorta helps hold the birds to a small degree. Dont use as much as once did but still can use if I want to and when in heavy cover works like a charm to locate dogs and trained my dogs with beeper. When beeper is on and I turn it off or when its off and I turn it on dogs either turn or come in to me. I want my dogs hunting with me not me with my dogs. Still want them to cover the area but want them to know where Iam at too.

i prefer to run silent these days....if you can keep track of your dog, better to go with the beeper completely off IMHO....except when in killer CRP.

I agree, the quieter it is, the better. I don't turn my beepers on, seems to be like a big warning to the birds that we are coming.

I agree, the quieter it is, the better. I don't turn my beepers on, seems to be like a big warning to the birds that we are coming.

I agree. I had one for a short while and then sold it on Ebay. Drove me and the dog nuts.

Now I run a Garmin and couldn't be happier.

I too run my beeper silent most of the time but occasionally do need it in heavy cover or as I said for my dogs, which were trained using the beeper. Another reason is my hearing, beeper going off in one direction and Iam going in the other direction. Can hear it good but cant locate the direction.

JC- before the Garmin came out I used the Lovett's 6 in one beeper on two of mine in three states- ruffed grouse, quail, prairie chickens, pheasants, and some duck points- many years- beep when on point only- never saw the beep scare birds

I can give the name of two different guys who thought no bird would hold when it's beeping- yet stepped in and flushed and shot birds

I bought the Garmin 3 years ago- it's just nice to not hear the beep- but I'd not be worried to put my old beeper on any of my 4 Britt's

beep collars work just fine- it's bad when some get so tuned to think that they have to have the constant beep on- because they want to know exacrly where their dog is all the time- beep on point works quite well

nothing is as good as the Garmin GPS though

I wonder how it will affect the hearing of the dog after prolonged use the ones I have heard hurt my ears so i can imagine what its like for the dog not sayin they are good or bad just wondering

i very seldom have a reason for using 1 but there has been an occasion when it would have been nice to have 1

What about one that makes the sound of a hawk......wouldn't that make the birs sit tighter........anyone have/use one????

running silent

I prefer to run silent. The only time I beep the dog(s) is if they are
ranging outside of my comfortable gun range. I give them 1 beep
which signals to hunt back towards me. If that does not correct
the wide range I go w/ a single lite nick as a reminder. After a while
they get to know your gun range and will tend to hold inside of that
knowing where you are. I try to not talk unless I am guiding and
need to direct people to something that needs attention and the less
beeping the better from my perspective. This also tends to
help other hunters in the party to be on their best game.

After trying darned near everything over the years, I have settled on the beeper in point mode only paired with an Astro. Running silent with the astro was my goal, but it just isn't realistic. The astro can get you close, but looking at a screen while closing the final yards isn't an option. The cover we hunt is heavy. It isn't uncommon to have a dog 20 yards from you and not be able to locate it without a beeper.

Do beepers scare birds? Grouse and woodcock, no way, no effect what so ever. Pheasants, in my experience the beeper on range and point mode does. The birds seem to track the dog as it moves through the field and I get fewer pointed. In point only mode I honestly don't think it has an effect. Once that dog has that cock pinned, he's pinned and he knows it. I have not had birds flush once the beeper kicks on.

Do beepers hurt the dogs ears? Not as much as a bell does IMHO. A bell is below the ears and ringing constantly. The beeper is above the head and only goes off while on point. I also believe dogs have a harder time hearing the handler over the ringing of a bell around their neck. I once swore by bells, now I swear at them. Can't stand hunting behind a dog with a bell. But that's just me. YMMV.

Hawk scream = gimmick. No different than a beeper.

I have the dogtra 2500 t&b we tried it this year when the birds were run on us. I put it on beep mode and it seamed to make the birds hold up and not get ahead of us.

Back