Beeper collars

COWAN

Are they worth it? Do they scare off birds? The only interest I have in them is I would be able to locate my Wirehair in thick cover and also not call him off of a point. I don't use a e-collar at all now and don't really want to, so I thought maybe a beeper collar or maybe a Garmin Astro. What's your thoughts?

If you are hunting alone - go ahead and listen to the constant beep!

We listened to one last year and it drove all of us crazy!! Perhaps use a bell,not so annoying.

I've had nothing but labs until recently. I ran regular e collars on them. I now also have a GSP. A few times I got scared I lost her after standing in a slough for a half hour screaming for her. It was even worse on real windy days. So I bought a beeper collar for the pretty much the locate button like your thinking. However I now use the beeper function that only beeps while she's on point. Tough for her to do her job in cattails when your calling her off points because you can't see her. I would highly recommend one.

Hi, I own 2 beeper collars, both by Dogtra (the older 2000 T&B and the new 2500 T&B). I much prefer the 2000 T&B, the beeper in on the top of the dog and IMO louder. These collars have been the best I've ever owned, not one problem and reliable as all get out. Can't say about the other brands of beeper collars.

With these collars you can run them were they will beep every 6 to 8 seconds or on point only mode (beeps every 2 second while the dog is on point or still). They also have a locate button. When you push this button it will beep only once or as many times as you press the button.

As to spooking the birds, not been a problem at all. I only hunt wild birds and can't recall when the birds flushed when the beeper was going off. In fact, it seems to hold them better, don't know why, just my experience.

I'm a big fan of beeper collars and won't hunt without them.

Good luck!

Greg

I'd take a collar with multiple tones. Single mid level electricity. And maybe a locate button. Too bad nobody makes one.

+1 for the Dogtra beeper collars. I've been running a 2500 T&B on my Brittanys for several years now. Not one issue. I will say that the e-collar function on my collars is not the strongest but more than enough for my Britts. I hunted with Beirlsetters and his English Setters this past week and even in the wind he was amazed how well and far he could hear Elle's collar when she was on point. I think he is convinced to get his own.

I like the compactness of the 2500 T&B with the beeper and receiver contained all in one unit. Only problem is with the beeper facing down and you are hunting in wet snow the beeper can become packed with snow and muffle the sound of the beeper. But the positives far out weigh the one negative.

Over the past years I have seen on only a couple occasions when my dog went on point and the beeper sounded that the pheasant flushed. Again, not a major problem for the benefits you gain.

I never run my collars in "run-point" mode as the constant beeping can be annoying. I run in "point only" mode.

For a pointing dog in thick cover I think the beeper locators are a must have. I have a Sportdog unit that works well. Mine is set so it only starts beeping if the dog stops as if on point. I have it set for "hawk screech" beep mode, so it has the added benefit of making pheasants hold better since they think a hawk is circling. Hard to prove if that really works, but on certain days, certain birds, in certain habitats it does seem to help. I don't think the beep causes birds to flush early. In the thick north woods of Minnesota for hunting ruffed grouse, I use an old-fashioned bell and that also does not seem to flush birds early. My theory is they hear something coming and sit tight to listen and see which way the bell is traveling.

I personally do not like them. I hate any extra noise, but I have to admit I do use one in heavy cover. I have one that I can turn off and on from a remote control, and I only turn it on when I can't hear or see my dog. Mine is tri-tronics.

If I was worried about being able to find my dog, I would get a gps locator. No way I would want to listen to a constant beeping noise all day. If you don't think a pheasant gets wise to that crap with a quickness they do.

I agree with Tom, you'll send a lot of birds running with the beeper, especially late season Roosters. I don't hunt with a pointer but if I had one I'd go with the GPS.

Beeper collar

When I first used a beeper I thought it was great. I put it around my neck with the beeper located to the rear, very unpleasant. I could only imagine how it might affect the dog's hearing. As soon as I was able to affod a Garmin gps I purchased it and am pleased. I currently have the Alpha. It gives me great comfort to know his location.
I did a considerable amount of water work this summer, with my shorthair, and the Garmin performed very well. As they advertise, it is waterproof.
I just wish the gps would have been available when I was able to run two EP.

Not quite the same but I can tell you this. I used to run bells on my flushers and the vast majority of my hunting is stocked birds on state land. Even those birds got wise to what a bell meant. No more bells for me.

If you've hunted wild birds you've no doubt seen them flush wild with even just the sound of a truck door closing. A beeper tells a rooster exactly where your dog is.

Back