be a gentleman when hunting on generous people's land

calamari

I'm sure nobody who is a member of this site or who reads these posts would do this but hunters using the BMAs in eastern Montana are behaving like pigs and things are changing as a result. Where there used to be big signs posted in the small towns saying, "Hunters Welcome" those signs are gone. I've attempted to post a picture of a parking spot at a BMA where hunters chose to clean their birds right there and just throw the heads, skin and guts on the ground where you park and where the land owner will see it. I have a photo that, seems to now be lost, of almost 20 beer cans I picked up around another parking spot on a BMA. I picked up a shopping bag full of trash every day for a week from this one BMA. There were groups of people staying for a month at one campground and pirating electricity from security lights to power their rigs.
If you see guys doing this say something or at least clean up after them. BMAs are the primary reason that you can hunt in Montana and pigs will end that as an option.

Last edited:
I'm sure nobody who is a member of this site or who reads these posts would do this but hunters using the BMAs in eastern Montana are behaving like pigs and things are changing as a result. Where there used to be big signs posted in the small towns saying, "Hunters Welcome" those signs are gone. I've attempted to post a picture of a parking spot at a BMA where hunters chose to clean their birds right there and just throw the heads, skin and guts on the ground where you park and where the land owner will see it. I have a photo that, seems to now be lost, of almost 20 beer cans I picked up around another parking spot on a BMA. I picked up a shopping bag full of trash every day for a week from this one BMA. There were groups of people staying for a month at one campground and pirating electricity from security lights to power their rigs.
If you see guys doing this say something or at least clean up after them. BMAs are the primary reason that you can hunt in Montana and pigs will end that as an option.

I pick up at least 12 beer cans a weekend driving around hunting. I pick them up on our land and neighbors land, its not a great feeling, but to be honest I am hoping these are not from hunters. Its bad enough to drink and drive. its really bad to drink and drive and hunt.

What these guys Dad's forget to teach them , My dad would have asked nicely one time to pick up crap and the #%it would have hit the fan .

Thanks for your post and a reminder to police your trash it includes :

Shotgun shells , bird caracass ,beer cans

I think I finally got the pictures of the beer cans I thought was lost. Not that we all haven't seen trash and empty beer cans but sometimes you've just got to be reminded.

Last edited:
Sad sight

The pic of bird parts in the parking lot is a sad sight. It is disrespectful of someone abusing a privilege that a lot of people do not have. Consideration for someone's property is a lesson that every hunter needs to be taught at a young age. Innocent and guilty pay the price. Consequences!!!

Last edited:
Good post, seen some similar things, its a privilege that can be taken away in a flash.

I enrolled some of our ground in the Iowa DNR Access program, it allows public hunting on private land.

It is in for three years, littering will be the deciding factor when it comes time to renew or not.

littering will be the deciding factor when it comes time to renew or not.

Hence, one of the reasons (among others) why many of us keep garbage bags with us. There's always going to be a few slobs out there:(
Nick

Hence, one of the reasons (among others) why many of us keep garbage bags with us. There's always going to be a few slobs out there
Nick

True, I about lost it last night on some public land, here in MN. Empty cans, empty shell boxes, shell casings everywhere, all I cleaned up. I've been carrying some bags with me the last few hunts, and come back with them nearly full of garbage every time. I don't want jack@sses ruining the great privilege to hunt that we have.

bma

There are many among us who are CLUELESS. Hunting privelidges should not be theirs. Alas, it's the way things are & yes extra garbage bags are a good idea.

Respect the land, and the game. Littering is really bad. I have seen some really good ranches closed,because of littering, and poaching.

Mcfarmer: My group of 5 hunters with 5 dogs will be heading to Iowa from Indiana at the end of Oct. this is a great post, as I was not aware of the issue with the trash not having hunted in Iowa. I will ensure that we have trash bags with us to pick up any trash left behind by others. We will be hunting east of Waterloo on private and walk in property, if you send me the plot/ county where your located I will try to drive by and police up your area of trash as well. It is kind and generous people like you that allow a group of old retired soldiers a place to hunt.

Back