Bad News Knee - Now the Good News!

BritChaser

My knee just lit up on its own. Doc says the x-ray shows a bone spur as the likely culprit. Not sure I can go afield this fall. Thinking about arthroscopic surgery. Anybody had that? Would like to know your thoughts and experiences.

UPDATE: MRI shows mild to moderate arthritis (age) and - this is the suspected culprit - a loose body. Next week if the ortho says operate, we operate.

UPDATE: We operate

UPDATE: Three weeks post-surgery and I can walk as far as always. Still some pain but I expect it will lessen and, if not, it is manageable

A BIG THANK YOU to all who shared below which gave me confidence to get the arthroscopy which gave me back my pheasant legs. As the saying goes, you don't get pheasants with your gun; you get them with your legs.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the knee, buddy... I wish I had some information and could help you... Hopefully they can get you fixed up and back to chasing roosters by the Fall...

Had three knee replacements was lucky enough that the last two (same knee) both times were done early enough so I was done with rehab before pheasant season opened up. Made the trip to South Dakota although I did block three out of the four days. Arthroscopic should be a breeze compared to full replacement.

Get surgery scheduled, rehab like crazy and get back in the field! Arthroscopy should decrease recovery, and take baby steps, but don't miss the season. Hope all goes well.

Can’t really offer any advice but I do sympathize. I just underwent an mri Thursday so still waiting on results but I’m fully expecting some sort of surgery. I fully intend on being back in the field come fall.

No experience with joints yet. Get it taken care of now, bet you are in the field for the opener. Goodluck, hope it goes well.

I hurt my knee pretty bad as a kid. Full acl/pcl/mcl surgery. Years later I was having trouble walking due to pain. Dr did ortho surgery, cleaned out spurs and bone chips and knee felt like a million bucks. Rehab wasn't a big deal. I would guess that you wouldn't have problems hunting this fall if all they do is a clean out.

I had arthroscopic surgery 10 years ago to clean-up the knee and remove bone spurs the size of nickel. I was able to walk out right after the surgery, the next day my knee swelled up unable to walk, 2 days later I was pretty much normal. Had some tenderness walking up and down stairs that never went away. Now I'm ready for knee replace.

Get it done. Recovery time is relatively short. Just make sure you work hard on your physical therapy after the surgery. I've had both knees scoped and it's really not a big deal. You will be just fine by fall and won't miss the season.

Thank you! The above info is very much appreciated. Unless this thing clears up over the weekend, I'll go back to the doc to discuss a referral to an ortho surgeon. Want to keep hunting! I have a 4.5 yr old Brit that loves to hunt too. Don't want to let her down or miss time afield with her.

My knee just lit up on its own. Doc says the x-ray shows a bone spur as the likely culprit. Not sure I can go afield this fall. Thinking about arthroscopic surgery. Anybody had that? Would like to know your thoughts and experiences.
Piece of cake Brit. I was never really an athlete but had a lot of those type injuries (hold my beer) I've torn both ACLS and had them replaced. Several herniated discs, then latter had a meniscus tear which may be your problem. I was a lot younger then, but ortho surgery was the easiest. I was on a crutch for a day, cane for two days and walked a mile in a couple days after. Find a good surgeon that specializes in sports injuries. They'll give you an MRI and you'll know for sure. Best case scenario meniscus. worst knee replacement.

thanks for asking. about 50% functionally and less painful. distance walking limited. haven't been back to the doc. i'm sure arthro surgery is ahead but I want to finish what remains of KS trout fishing this spring before I get it done. the feedback above and from other sources says the recovery period for this type of surgery is short, so there should be plenty of time between the end of trout season and the start of bird season.

I started having problems with my left knee this past bird season and hobbled through the end of quail season in February. I finally went to an orthopedic doctor and he diagnosed me with a torn meniscus. He gave me a steroid shot in my knee and that helped some, for a while, but the pain and stiffness returned.

I had arthroscopic surgery yesterday (Tuesday) on the knee and they repaired the tear and cleaned things up in my knee. I’m currently on crutches but my knee already feels much better! I go back in a week for the follow up.

I say get your surgery done ASAP so you’ll have time to recover and rehab. You don’t want it to ruin your bird hunting next fall by not dealing with it now, during the downtime/off-season.

I started having problems with my left knee this past bird season and hobbled through the end of quail season in February. I finally went to an orthopedic doctor and he diagnosed me with a torn meniscus. He gave me a steroid shot in my knee and that helped some, for a while, but the pain and stiffness returned.

I had arthroscopic surgery yesterday (Tuesday) on the knee and they repaired the tear and cleaned things up in my knee. I’m currently on crutches but my knee already feels much better! I go back in a week for the follow up.

I say get your surgery done ASAP so you’ll have time to recover and rehab. You don’t want it to ruin your bird hunting next fall by not dealing with it now, during the downtime/off-season.

thank you for this info!

My 2 Cents. Menicus surgery is a breeze, might miss work a few days. A total knee replacement is worse but very doable. Had a knee replaced in April, was running dog agility in July and packing moose in September. October bird hunting was the best in years. My only regret was why did I wait so long to have it fixed. When the other knee starts giving me problems I will not wait, just skip the steroid shots and get it replaced right away. Just do the PT like they say and you should be good to go in no time.

I'm with Britt and Swamp. Don't put it off to long. I put my first ACL repair off for years. It was stupid to endure pain for years when you can eliminate it in a few weeks! keep us updated.

Ibills, Just curious what the doc has told you the expected recovery time is before resuming normal activities? My mri showed a torn meniscus as well so I’m looking at roughly the same thing you went through. Couldn’t get into the ortho doc I wanted until the 26th so I’ve still got a couple weeks to wait.

Back