Bad Apples abound!

Wow! Sounds like a mess. Maybe they are selling too many different types of tags that the people that want to abuse the system see opportunity in.
Whe I was down there last Dec. (09) we saw very few deer hunters in all but one area. Saw a huge mulie and no one was even bothering him. Acouple guys did talk to us when we came out of a walk-in re did we see anybody in the stand on adjacent private land as people were using it without permission and it had even been stolen once!

Sorry to all good NR's, but I would recruit ppl to ban NR rifle deer hunters after reading this mess.

Ditto. It's a shame that these bad apples are ruining it for everyone. I imagine if the trend continues, NR's may not be allowed to obtain a license to hunt in KS for squirrel, let alone big game and upland birds.

We may end up with no choice but to close the borders.

Maybe they are selling too many different types of tags that the people that want to abuse the system see opportunity in.

There's really not an excess of different tags, but there is an excess of people who want to abuse the system.

Big game hunting brings out the worst element in the sport. Lots of casual, once a year, guys who sit around the campfire drinking old stump blower, never bothered to sight in there rifles, and that's a good thing, since they will tell you about getting a couple a good "sound" shots, when they get home. Done right, deer camp is a memorable experience, unfortunately, some numb nut can find a way to screw up anything, and a few friends to help him do it! Certainly not unique, I have heard high powered rifle rounds whizzing over my head while antelope hunting in Wyoming, Seen drunken off road jacklighters in Nebraska, on the national forest, and been surprised to find deer stand poachers, shooting at my wife's sheep, on my back forty, within site of the Kansas City skyline! it's why I gave up big game, that and the butchering mess!

well my being a bowhunter, im not all that hot when it comes to rifle season. now dont get me wrong i have buddys that rifle hunt, im not completly against it, but every year i find myself hearing high power shot a day or two before and after season, and finding deer with their antlers cut off in the middle of a corn field by my property. but i also know that there are alot of guys doing it right way, its a touchy subject if you ask me. i hate to see the "bad apples" from ks, or from anywhere else.

As a future NR, I apologize for the transgressions. In all honesty, we have similar problems here in PA, where people want a deer so bad that they will go to any lengths to kill one.

There's bad apples in every state. I'm sure there are some residents of Kansas that qualify as bad apples too. To even mention closing the border or not allowing hunting for NR's seems way over the top to me. What if every state took that same position as you are sugggesting? The problem is not the NR status, the problem is the individual person regardless of where they're from.

There's bad apples in every state. I'm sure there are some residents of Kansas that qualify as bad apples too. To even mention closing the border or not allowing hunting for NR's seems way over the top to me. What if every state took that same position as you are sugggesting? The problem is not the NR status, the problem is the individual person regardless of where they're from.

I dont think he meant it literally. Besides the state wouldnt do that, theres too much $$ at stake. That and I believe a big part of Kansas opening up out of state deer hunting in the first place was that surrounding big game states were going to not allow kansas residents to draw tags there if their residents could not draw tags here. So no worries about that ever happening. However more limited access will be the norm.

As far as deer season...Ive seen the HYOL permit violations. One kid (I say kid - he was 20something) yelled at me for being on a mile line crop road during deer season. As a joke I requested him as a friend on facebook, which he accepted. Saw y he yelled at me. His family and the kid took 3 fairly decent (only one should have been shot IMO, the rest left to get more mature) mulie bucks. Im 99% positive they did not shoot them on their land. They were shot out of a walk in near their house which they didnt have the right to be on with their land owner tags. The good mulie buck my buddy and I spotted the week before deer season. We have it on good authority by the neighboring land owner he was hanging out behind his house and off a main road the entire first week of deer season. Then he mysteriously disappeared.

The kid was mad because I was glassing the herd for my buddy, we found where he gut shot one of the bucks in the walk in the next day. Im assuming he found it as in one of his photos I saw the buck he posed with had its leg blown off and the clothes he was wearing correspond with the weather that day or the next.

Im glad we got rid of Transfer Tags. I think the last thing the state needs to do is get rid of HYOL permits and simplify that system. If a resident has to draw for a mulie tag, a land owner should have to draw for one too. Id rather a landowner simply get a reduced permit fee and simply be held to the same rules as everyone else and not have access to special tags simply because hes a landowner. I can say with some certainty that most landowners simply do not hunt their own land with a land owner tag and go wherever they want.

Funny how it seemed most of the violations the officer mentioned involved landowner tags. Ive also heard of lots of landowners complaining about people trespasing for bird hunting and that its becoming more commonplace by everyone, locals and non locals allike.

I just wish other states would fix their habitats to keep some of the pressure off of our state.

All the pheasants fell out of the sky like the blackbirds in AR and all of our deer are dead. No need to come to KS anymore. Everyone can stay home. :p

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/Other-Services/Law-Enforcement/Officer's-Logbook

I have a feeling Kansans are about to become a lot less welcoming. If I get the opportunity to cast my vote against deer rifle season I'll do so. Sorry to all good NR's, but I would recruit ppl to ban NR rifle deer hunters after reading this mess.

It is worse here in Colorado!!!!!! Residents are in trouble in Oberlin for shooting a lot of mulie bucks illegally, residents in Dighton are in trouble with shooting too many deer and shipping the meat East to family members and the Chief of police in Dodge is in hot water for Poaching. Doesn't seem to be a logistic or NR thing!!!! Just a ignorant problem!!!!! From everyone!!! How do those people get land owner tags???? You guessed it, from resident land owners!!

Iowa/Missouri Too!

I happened to read the Iowa DNR site after reading and commenting on this subject. A similar article appears in the online enforcement section, seems they have an assortment of violators from out of state, abetted by residents in some cases, a couple of the violations, also were committing the same crimes in Missouri, as the investigation unwound, now facing charges in both. Amazingly, some of these yokels travel all the way from Louisiana, to poach big racked deer, after buying antlerless tags. All these people need huge forfeitures, fines, and prison, followed by lifetime bans, period. I've decided we don't need more "hunters", and I use the term loosely, we need more sportsmen and women, I don't know who these other idiots are!

Wish I could say this only happened out west but we see the same thing in Ohio also.

Matt D

I can't hang out on this thread too long, makes me sad & MAD!!! :mad:
Unfortunately, the problem is much bigger than we care to admit or imagine...I can't tell you how many excellent places nationwide to hunt deer, turkeys, waterfowl, dove, & pheasants that I have lost over the last couple decades due to the asinine actions of yeahoos like this!

It's not just deer hunters!!! Recent case in point - a place I was rooster-chasin at in CO just this past NY's wknd has had so many problems (repeatedly peppering their house, blatant trespassing, ect.) that they are seriously considering not letting anyone hunt anymore & to a certain extent I don't blame them! I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see a massive section of beautiful, mature red switchgrass plowed under by next year just to cure the headache... :(

Why do idiots like this have to ruin it for everyone???

I honestly do NOT understand the BFD about deer antlers. What is so great about a set of deer antlers? I have found a few deer over the years, and heard of a lot more, that have the horns cut off and all the meat left behind. So stupid...:mad: If somebody holds deer in such high regard as to want to collect their antlers as a trophy, then why in the world would they be so disrespectful as to leave the entire body to rot in a ditch? Ridiculous...

My hat's off to the wardens. Thank you for your service to all of us.:thumbsup:

Agreed. My initial reaction was "Wow, the farmers that have always let me and my family hunt are going to shut us out." Obviously it isn't going to happen in KS. Closing the borders probably isn't a feasible option, but I'd rather close the borders than lose the opportunities I have as a resident of KS. Hunting is the reason I'll never leave this state. Yes, there are plenty of bad apples residing in KS. Thing is, the locals know the kids that do crap like this and it is either beat out of them or they're reported and end up going to jail. Besides, when a local does it farmer Fred says, "That damn Johnny from Cimarron and his buddies, blah, blah blah." When they don't know the suspect it's "Those damn deer or bird hunters, blah, blah, blah."

Sorry, didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I've seen the R vs. NR debate on another site and it never makes any sort of progress. I shouldn't have introduced that to our site. Your feelings aside, I'd STILL vote down rifle season given the chance. Get a bow and learn the patterns, or shoot em' early season w/ a MZloader.

Lets see...$32 for a resident license, TEN times that amount for a non-resident. BUT if you are a non-resident who owns land in the state, only $77. If you are a non-resident who owns land in the state and that land is farmed or ranched (doesn't have to be by you), only $17. Baiting common. Trophy management focus. Outfitters and deer guides.

A perfect storm to attract such problems and such scum!

No offense, and kansas is not the only state that has gone there--but sometimes you need to look in the mirror to see the root of the problem.

You're onto something. I agree w/ your statement.

i can't hang out on this thread too long, makes me sad & mad!!! :mad:
Unfortunately, the problem is much bigger than we care to admit or imagine...i can't tell you how many excellent places nationwide to hunt deer, turkeys, waterfowl, dove, & pheasants that i have lost over the last couple decades due to the asinine actions of yeahoos like this!

It's not just deer hunters!!! Recent case in point - a place i was rooster-chasin at in co just this past ny's wknd has had so many problems (repeatedly peppering their house, blatant trespassing, ect.) that they are seriously considering not letting anyone hunt anymore & to a certain extent i don't blame them! I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see a massive section of beautiful, mature red switchgrass plowed under by next year just to cure the headache... :(

why do idiots like this have to ruin it for everyone???

amen brother !!!!!

Back