Back from KS

esetter

Just got in from a short 2.5 day trip to NC Kansas. Came back with three quail , a rooster and two chickens. A light bag , but I can definitely say we saw a lot more birds than in years past. Pheasants were super spooky , even on private land. We scouted out some prairie chickens one evening and set up on them for a pass shoot. I missed one , partner killed one really nice male and a female the next morning. Had several nice points on hens that held decent. Got into 3 coveys of quail. One the dog had pointed on land we werent too sure was open , partner whistled and beeped , finally had to go gunless over there and the covey exploded. We later found out it was a small corner of the wiha we could hunt. Bumped one covey so close to the truck that the other two guys had already unloaded. I was so shocked that when i finally accepted what i just saw i took a frustration shot that didnt connect. #rd covey we puled three out of. Killed one rooster on some wiha. Cover looked beter and definitely more birds!

Sorry you didn't get a bit more work for the dogs than that. It's hell to be this far down, especially with young dogs that won't ever get this time back. I could say the same for old dogs that may never see another good year.

Well , like i said , saw more birds on this trip than in the last three years. The real problem is that im an upland bird hunter who lives in the southeast. Would be like you being a ruffed grouse hunter in Kansas! I wish I woulda known about kansas 10-12 years ago when we were going to Iowa.

Well , like i said , saw more birds on this trip than in the last three years. The real problem is that im an upland bird hunter who lives in the southeast. Would be like you being a ruffed grouse hunter in Kansas! I wish I woulda known about kansas 10-12 years ago when we were going to Iowa.

I just got back from a quick trip around the Hays area, and I saw far more birds in WIHA than I have in years past. They were really, really jumpy, even in the really cold mornings - but it beats the last few yeas that I could comb WIHA and see nothing but a few hens.

Agreed , Id like to try it out there a little earlier in the year. For whatever reason they were jumpy on some private we can hunt.

Time

Yeah, I'd like to also, but it's just hard for me in Q4 to get out, I usually have to wait until the calendar flips before I have the flexibility to get out, so I'm always hunting the wise birds. Good for the girls anyway.

Ksg8rG4.jpg

crew

thanks. Hunted them hard for 3 days, and this is what the mighty hunters look like now.

OMaGoLD.jpg

Last edited:
rooster

Yeah, he was good sized and long tail, but his spur was a tiny nub - that means first year bird, right?

5J32EIY.jpg

Last edited:
Yes , that is a this years bird. The older ones will have a sharp spur that gets really light colored at the tip usually.

sounds like a good trip to me....good to hear your noticing birds are on the upswing....:thumbsup:

Back