Arthur or Tappen area?

LABS HUNT

Hey folks, heading out to ND today for a couple weeks. Anybody have good reports where roosters are especially after the recent snow? I'm guessing thick cat tails would be a good place to start. Any help for Tappen, Dawson or Arthur areas?

Even cattails are out of the question most areas. We got so much snow that bigger cover is now favored. My yard yesterday they liked because of the shrubs/cover...cattails they haven't been in yet. Likely same around there with how much snow has fallen between here and Jamestown the last week. Expect to do some driving and to be cold. Find open crop fields (blizzard blows snow off some) next to the taller/thicker cover and you find gold. I saw many this past weekend but couldn't get close enough fast enough. Called it early, but I've had a great/long season already and am starting to think ice fishing and haven't wanted to walk in that deep snow much...dog has trouble too with depth of snow.

Central ND is now in survival mode for pheasants. 12 - 16+ inches of hard blowing snow will fill many cattail sloughs.

Many roads that access hunting areas are not plowed during winter because people and school buses do not need them (minimum maintenance roads). Hiking in a mile or two just to start hunting in deep snow is not for the faint or weak of heart.

Central ND may again become an iffy area for pheasants (benefited a couple consecutive easier winters) if this weather pattern continues. Then again who knows what Dec 15th - March 31st will bring.

Curious - how did you ever come up with Arthur, ND ????? :confused:

Noticed my first winter kill pheasants yesterday. Looked like the just keeled over while trying to get eat. Feeding next to really good cover that is now snow filled. Gonna be a hard winter for the birds.

Back