are dog boots necessary everywhere in western Kansas

birddogz

I don't hunt Kansas but follow the forum when time allows. I'm from Idaho and mainly hunt ID, OR, MT, and ND. I've never needed to use dog boots in any of these areas. I've noticed numerous references to hunters using dog boots in western Ks due to burrs and cactus. Is this a preference or does everyone use dog boots by necessity.

I have hunted for over 35 years in all parts of Kansas , I have put boots on my dog twice . Once in Ness County where there were a bunch of birds in a weedy / Sand burr laden wheat field and once in the far southwest corner of Ks . again sand burrs where the problem .

It would be unlikely that dog boots would be needed for 95 percent of the ground in Ks .

thanks for your response. I have only seen one hunter try to get his dog to wear them. That dog shook and kicked all the way across the field until he was able to kick them off.

This questions on dog boots is one that gets battered about every year. It depends on how many days you hunt and what type of conditions you are hunting in. I personally always put boots bought from dogbotties.com on my dogs every time I hunt. I used to hunt 45-60 days a year and in thorny, sand and goat head burr areas. Plus in the snow or ice they are a must thing to have. I would hunt up to 3-5 days in a row and the dogs feet were just as good as before the hunt as you could tell by the way they walked and hunted. I would go with other hunters with dogs and watch on about day 2-3 there dogs get out of the truck and walk very gingerly on their feet, and saw them carry their dogs out of fields laden with burrs. Its a personal preference and I have been using boots for 20 years so for me its a no brainier. I would say try them and if you see a difference keep using them. I used to wear out a pair of boots in a season and I bought the best boots I could buy. I would wear holes through the leather and the completely wear through the rubber soles in the front of the boots. So just think what this is doing to your dogs feet that is covering 8-10 times the area that I am.

Zeepo

I've never used them in Kansas regardless weather, but I only hunt two days in a row in a weeks time. There are burs, but my dog and others I've been with will pull them out of their paws. If they start walking three-legged I will assist. Trimming back all the hair between and around their pads will help. Length of hunting and number of days hunting in row, as mentioned above, is a significant factor that could call for boots.

Last edited:
I used to hunt SW KS in an area where it was mainly irrigated quarters. This place as chock a block full of sand burrs. It was wicked. Lots of pheasants but even the pheasants we shot had burrs in their feathers. Tough for the dog to pick up and tough to hold in your hand without getting stuck.

Absolutely had to boot the dogs in that area. They couldn't go 50 yards without just stopping with feet full of burrs.

Hasn't been much of a problem hunting in SD but I still keep boots and a roll of duct tape in my dog box in the truck. Never know when you might need them.

I hunted a spot in the Oklahoma panhandle last year that was bur free. Moved a mile into river bottom country on day two. Sand burs every step. Have them with you to be safe. Hate to make a big trip and be limited on where you can hunt.

I don't like boots on dogs but I don't like skipping good spots due to burs either.

I hunt on average 30-45 days per year out here and my dogs live out here year around. Never had boots. Of course I have labs. I have a friend who guides with goldens and never uses boots. Some of the more tender hearted dogs might I guess.

I carry duct tape in my vest. If sand burrs become a problem, I make dog booties out of duct tape, no bought booties.

Just because the dog does not seem to be bothered by sand burrs, does not mean they do not need booties. Had to quit hunting one day because I did not duct tape one of my britts.

Well, maybe my dogs are just soft..... I will say I never needed them in Kansas but Dodge was about as far west as we went. Oklahoma is another story.

Last edited:
Back