Apology

Scoob

My apologies for my introductory post. I have become aware that it isn't appropriate to ask for that info on the board.

Travelling 1200 mile into the unknown got the best of me.

I do however try to share any info or experience I have to the best of my ability.

Thanks.

Warner

My apologies for my introductory post. I have become aware that it isn't appropriate to ask for that info on the board.

Travelling 1200 mile into the unknown got the best of me.

I do however try to share any info or experience I have to the best of my ability.

Thanks.

Warner

Warner, It's ok if you want to ask that info, one of my moderators must have notified you. Don't worry about it.

I realize some people want to hunt public, some want private, some want to hunt with a guide, some want to hunt with an outfitter. There are lots of different kinds of hunt options available for everyone depending on what you want.

I put the post back up and if you want to ask that info it's ok.

I personally would almost never hunt public in South Dakota in Nov or Dec. The public ground is over hunted and just plain rediculous. I would rather pay a few more dollars for all the time and money you spend traveling. If you are going to drive 1200 miles, don't waste your time with public just to say you hunted in "South Dakota".

If you are coming to South Dakota, I would go somewhere that has good hard hunting and lots of birds. Half of the fun of South Dakota is seeing tons of birds, huge wild pheasants flushes when you slam the car door getting into the field, watching your dog work, etc.

To me, the money is worth a lifetime of memories if you don't make it here often. I don't like to see people drive all the way here and have a crappy hunt. A lot of people don't agree with me, but I really don't care. I know what I like for a pheasant hunt. Remember, "paying to hunt" means supporting habitat.

I have brought a buddy from MN 2 years ago to South Dakota that has never hunted there before. He has hunted in MN for 15 years and was pretty excited because of the "South Dakota pheasant hunting" experience that everyone talks about. Well I took him out to a few places I hunt at, and he was like a little kid at a candy store. He wouldn't shut up about the trip for a entire year! He said he will never forget when he had 25 birds flying at him and he didn't know which bird to shoot at. Funny thing is, he missed all of them because of the adrenaline... but, that was what the trip was about. I'll never forget seeing the look on his face when he missed 4 shots in a row!

If you want to see birds, I got places you can hunt or if you still want to hunt public, go to the South Dakota GFP website.

Thanks for joining the boards, hope you post more.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan.

Actually no one notified me I just kind of figured it out on my own after spending a lot of time reading other posts.

I did contact a few guides. 4 I believe. All were completely booked. One gentleman said he would try to help me out with some small parcels of land that he doesn't send big groups out on.

I am still going to hunt the public land but if you can set me up with an guide outfit I have a bit of a budget for that sort of thing. Thanks.

Warner

WOW, that video was unbelievably awesome!

Hey Scoob,

I just noticed your apology, and I must say it is admirable of you to apologize, however, in my opinion, if anyone suggests your questions are inappropriate, then it is time to shut down all forums that are designed to provide information to help someone less experienced in whatever they are asking about. I'm not sure why anyone would be upset with your questions, since public lands are there for everyone, and those who hunt private already have their hunting spots lined up. Sorry if I sound insensitive to those who may criticize you for asking your questions, but they must be quite insecure that someone may spoil their day. As a flyfishing guide, I try to provide as much information to anyone who asks, not only my clients, in hopes of making that person have the best day they can, and keep them excited about the sport. That way we all have a good day. Feel free to ask any questions you wish, I am sure there are people out there with this philosophy that will always try to help out. For those of you that might be upset about people like Scoob asking for advice, you may want to rethink your criticism. I don't think you will be affected as much as you may think.

Good Luck,

Paul

Thanks Paul,

Actually nobody said anything to me. I just decided/realized that it may not be good manners to barge in and ask for all sorts of info without developing a rapport and offering some info in return. I'm glad this is not the case but better safe than sorry.

I agree with you that it doesn't make sense not to share reasonable amounts of info and I was only looking in general terms of course. SD is a big place and I don't want to waste my time in Pierre if the hunting is better near Sioux City for example.

Speaking of flyfishing have you ever fished the Bow River in Calgary or any rivers in BC or Alberta?

Unfortunately, that has been an unrealized dream of mine for years. I don't know when I will get to do that but am anxiously wanting to check that off my list. I have been up to Calgary and Banff, but not for the fishing. Ah, Someday!

Good luck with your pheasant hunting. I think I will be going to do some bird hunting next week, mainly Quail & Chukar (wild birds). I may also go to the club I belong to and work my boy "Cutter" on some Pheasant (released birds).

Paul

Back