Anyone wanna go hunting?

primalphil

I'm fairly new to the sport but shoot well. My pup is 6 months old and points but can be a pain in the butt. I know I'm not selling it well but I'm trying to be honest lol. I don't know anyone else who hunts other than big game so I'm in a tough spot with trying to learn on my own. I live in Firestone but have no problems driving. I have Thursdays and Sundays off at work so Thursday woulD be a great day I'm sure. If anyone is looking for a hunting buddy I'd love to join.
-Phil

I'm fairly new to the sport but shoot well. My pup is 6 months old and points but can be a pain in the butt. I know I'm not selling it well but I'm trying to be honest lol. I don't know anyone else who hunts other than big game so I'm in a tough spot with trying to learn on my own. I live in Firestone but have no problems driving. I have Thursdays and Sundays off at work so Thursday woulD be a great day I'm sure. If anyone is looking for a hunting buddy I'd love to join.
-Phil

I may be up for next Thursday if I can get my ducks in a row, can you hunt more than a day?:thumbsup:

best I can usually do is leave on a Wednesday after work and hunt all of Thursday. This Thursday (Dec 10th) is the only one I can't do because its my wife's birthday and I would be dead if I tried it.

Hunting partners

Although I have been an outdoorsman my whole life I am brand new to hunting and looking for some people to go with. I got an 870 for an early christmas gift to myself and would love to go out before the season ends. I am free saturdays and sundays, I just need advance notice so I can plan.

best I can usually do is leave on a Wednesday after work and hunt all of Thursday. This Thursday (Dec 10th) is the only one I can't do because its my wife's birthday and I would be dead if I tried it.

I truly understand.....I will let you know how it goes

:D

I hit up some WIA near Gary, CO (Also I learned that there is a place called Gary, CO) as my first time ever trying out WIA and taking Louie to hunt. My first self taught lesson: Don't slam your truck door when you get out. I saw 5 or 6 pheasant pick up and fly away. I had an overall good time and I was able to get myself 1 pheasant after missing 3 or 4 and watching another 5 or 6 fly away before we ever got to them. Louie pointed well but seemed almost like he was so overwhelmed with excitement to run through this big open field that he passed on a lot too. I felt like this first time was his and so I let him have his fun.
That being said, can someone please give me a better explanation as to the different types of WIA. I know what they are (ie Other, Wheat, grass, corn) but do you hunt each type differently? Is 1 better than the other? What do I want to look for to know it might be a good area to give a try.

I felt like this first time was his and so I let him have his fun.

As it should be, He will catch on. Dont pressure him at this point.
Thick grass next to feed with a good roosting area nearby

Each type of WIA has it's place... They will be in and out depending on what time it is or what the weather is like...They usually go to feed at some point. If there is a ton of pressure they will find food either where they are roosting or close by... They don't need a corn or wheat field to find food, but it is prefered.In my experience they are usually feeding 8-10, then loaf around where they may be feeding here and there or resting in the sun if it is chilly. They like to loaf near or in good cover. I usually see them coming back to their roost around 3-4 if the weather isn't bad. Usually it is a good crp field or thick draw.. I usually hit the CRP early morning then junp into a wheat stubble cut with a stripper head is prefered or hit any edge that has good cover next to a feed field..After that I usually wait until late afternoon to walk in the Crp again until dark or shooting light is over..Cut corn is tough to keep them from running unless it is filled with tumbleweeds and other cover where they may sit to escape undetected..But I have better luck in the high wheat stubble and I don't just go from one end to the other. Basically follow the dogs and circle and back track. It really messes the bird up not knowing where we are headed as most people start at one end and go staight to the other end....They know this as it happens 9 out of 10 times by hunters... Hope this helps you out a bit..:cheers:

Back