Anyone hunt near Britton / Hecla?

Flushedup

Looking to cut the drive time down a bit for the second trip out, and on the way back home we went through this area and observed the amount of crops and the CREP / WIA available.

Main question is this - is there sufficient lowland (cattail) areas in this area or is it mostly high ground? I notice there are not many WPA's around, which indicate the lower areas.

If you don't want to respond on here feel free to PM me, thanks for the help :D

Have hunted those areas in the past quite a bit. I always wear rubber boots due to all the water in the fields. Lots of cattails in the area.

Hunted and stayed in Britton last week of Oct. This year is about the same as last 3years , we work for 4to5 birds a day with 3guys and 2dogs. WE hunt both public and private and saw very few birds loafing or flying in late afternoon. I was hoping for better as corn was mostly done.

Bird numbers have fallen off quite a bit over the last five years which can happen in an area that is on the fringe of the good SD pheasant range. The newer CREP acreage is also generally inferior cover (for nesting especially) compared to the old CRP that was so prevalent up there in the mid-2000's.

As RONMN said a guy can find some birds but you will have to work hard for them.

I talk to bow hunters from Cloquet Mn . Each year and this year they see very few birds. I know they hunt near Hecla and east. And as said before no shortage of cattails. We will be back nov30 for a week its still hunting.

Hunted there today. 4 roosters within range, 2 killed. Saw 25 or so hens. Good scratch hunting, dog had to work for each bird and follow the line, not like years past were 15-20 cocks and 3x hens in range were common. But good dog work. Almost all the corn is out, most of the cover is pure cattails.

Back