Anyone going to be hunting next week? (week of jan 1)?

KsHusker

I have all next week off and a buddy has until Wed that he can hunt. We'll each have 1 dog each - My 7yr old setter and he will have a nearly 1 yr old GSP.

Right now I'm trying to debate going to some places we know or just try a new place altogether. The grasslands may call my name as well, but since he has to drive from KC I'm not sure he will want to drive that far..ha I haven't been back since 2010 but I did manage to get into one covey of blue quail and we got 4 of several flushes. Looks like it will be chilly next week so the dogs wont get hot but I never believe the accuracy of the weather until we're a day or two out.

I've met PheasantWhisperer from here last year and he's a good guy - we just haven't had a chance to hunt together yet but keep in touch - figured maybe could meet another fellow board member.

:cheers:

We are contemplating it. May do a really quick drive all night , hunt 2.5 days hunt. We hunt We hunt Rooks , Graham , Russell counties usually.

Dodge City weather forecast-
Monday, January 2nd 43/17 NNW 11mph
Tuesday, January 3rd 27/9 N 18 mph

We were just in the grasslands yesterday. Got into some bobwhites and saw blues running but never got blues to flush.

Thirty years or so ago I asked a man that hunted the Grasslands a lot how he hunted the scaled quail. His answer: They would watch careful as they approached a guzzler for movement. If blues were there and exited the guzzler area it was imperative that the hunters move quickly to get ahead of them and cut them off, otherwise the blues would run and never flush.

I may sneak out. I am off the next 2 weeks. Got a covey of quail around the house I see when deer hunting but never with the dog.

We hunted Graham and Norton counties yesterday. 8 guys 5 dogs. Group total was 2 roosters and 2 quail. Saw more mulies than pheasants. Only saw 1 covey of quail.

Im headed out Thursday and staying until Sunday. I may even decide to leave tomorrow. I will stay in Dodge and hunt a 50 mile circle all around it. My dog pen is at a friends sw of Ness, so I like to be there every night to kennel the dogs, it's nicer than leaving them in the box. I was thinking of venturing down to the grasslands, but I am about to talk myself out of it.

Back