Anybody do AKC Hunt Test?

blueweim

Just curious? We have our Junior title and will be going for our Senior Title next month. I have noticed that the majority of people I have met don't seem to be hunting focused. I met one trainer recently that said " it's time to get the dogs in shape from laying around all winter" I didn't even know how to respond. Then they couldn't believe that my dog actually pointed a bird from about 40ft away into a strong wind. When asked how I trained him to do that all I could say was "pheasants tought him that"

Its fun to do with my dog but I don't think it transfer to hunting all that much.

The hunt test is a great way to keep your dogs senses in "shape" while out of season. Anytime a dog is on the ground in the field, he's hunting. Best of luck to you and your dog as you go after another title.

For retreivers hunt tests do correlate to waterfowl hunting. Not so much to pheasant hunting other than the ability to mark. I like them for the oppurtunity to spend time with dogs and dog people. Congrats on the JH, don't let anyone fool you JH is an awesome accomplishment. Good Luck on the SH, let us know how it goes.

Back