Any pheasants left on public land in Denton area?

Skinwalker

Are there enough pheasants left in the public hunting areas near Denton to make the four hour drive from Billings worthwhile?

Thanks for the reply. Now the question is: are there enough birds on public land near Plentywood to make the 6 hour drive worthwhile. My problem is that in the four years I have been in Montana, the only birds I have been able to hunt are in North Dakota and South Dakota. It is only a couple of hours extra drive to get to South Dakota and I think Dickinson ND is actually closer to me than Plentywood. I have "hunted" (i.e. let my dogs run around) most of the public hunting areas near Billings without putting up a single bird. Lots of birds on the Bighorn in the spring but basically nothing in the WMA during hunting season. Any suggestions other that just drive to ND or SD?

Goosemaster-thanks for the response. However, if you check out the "Indicator of NE Hunting Pressure" thread below, you will see that the public land in Plentywood gets hammered. For pheasant, Montana is a curious place. Lots of birds on private land but not much on public. There are tons of public hunting areas near Billings but the BLM we can hunt does not hold pheasant. Since actually great public hunting is available in North Dakota and South Dakota, I think my local Montana hunting will be there. Dickinson ND is closer to me than Plentywood. My hunting buddy and I are now actively looking for property in SD so we can park our trailers for the hunting season. I was in SD for the opener. The bird numbers were way down and it was way too hot, but we still saw lots of birds in the public hunting areas. I can walk around my property here in Montana with my labs and not see birds. I really do not have to drive to Plentywood or Denton for the experience. If you have a decent game farm near Billings please let me know. The only ones I am aware of want $30 to 35 per bird with a seven bird minimum, which is just silly. Thanks again.

There is BLM land around Billings that holds birds. Problem is, everybody hunts it. There are lots of BMA areas within 1-3 hours of Billings that hold birds, just need to do some scouting. I went up around the Denton area in October and there weren't many birds to be seen. I was only hunting Type 1 areas as I'm not as familiar with the Type 2 spots in that part of the state. If it were me, I would put in more time scouting the Hi-line/Plentywood area than spending the extra money on out of state licenses. Billings is not a mecca for upland hunting, but there are birds around.

MTtailchaser:

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I know about the lack of birds in BLM near Billings. Been chasing that dream for four years. My problem with Plentywood is the cost of a South Dakota license is more than offset by the cheap and great lodging in SD. The SD state parks are wonderful and only $20 a day. I cannot figure out where to stay in Plentywood for less. A license for hunting in South Dakota is $12.50 a day and North Dakota is even cheaper. Given the data from the Hunting Pressure in NE Montana thread, I really cannot see the reason to make the drive.

now that the weather has gotten chillier, you will find the birds on the public hunting more frequently , early, and late. In addition if they haven't been pushed maybe even mid day....

I don't know anything about the billings area, I wouldn't even try that.I have done ok in the Denton area in the past, late.This season, I have found good private land hunting around Hilger , and north.

Back