Another warm up coming!!!☀️☀️☀️

benelli-banger

What are the chances? Pretty good, it seems! Pheasants are entering winter in darned good shape….a lot could change in the next 5 months, but they’re well prepared for whatever may befall them. May just go back to inspect their welfare early next week…🥰

What are the chances? Pretty good, it seems! Pheasants are entering winter in darned good shape….a lot could change in the next 5 months, but they’re well prepared for whatever may befall them. May just go back to inspect their welfare early next week…🥰
Yep, the longer they can go without major hardship, the better off they'll be in the spring. Their welfare definitely deserves close inspection.;)

Just returned Wed, hunted Sun-Tue…Tue afternoon was physically challenging!!!! Wind 30, gusting higher…air temp was about 15…tolerable but tough.

Again, it is creeping in to Iowa also, 3 days left in our season, tomorrow will be the best of them, bring a few fellas out again for our final rooster round-up for the season. The same here on birds' condition, we don't even have any snow cover yet. Should be a short winter season...when it gets here to stay around for more than a week.

We just need to hope for good nesting and brood raising weather otherwise winter survival doesnt mean much.

Sure, but an easy winter is better than a harsh one…obviously much can happen in the next 4-5 months…at least they’ve not been stressed yet, at least where I hunt.

Second the welfare check... Heading back to SD on Monday. Planning to start the welfare checking on Tuesday. Diagnosis and report to follow.

Sure, but an easy winter is better than a harsh one…obviously much can happen in the next 4-5 months…at least they’ve not been stressed yet, at least where I hunt.
True cant be concerned with nesting or broods if the rooster cant sow his oats!

Second the welfare check... Heading back to SD on Monday. Planning to start the welfare checking on Tuesday. Diagnosis and report to follow.
End of The Year Report ---
Went back week of 1-11, 2 guys and 3 Brits. Pretty cold and windy. Saw lots of birds - mostly hens, very few hunters. Birds were really spooky but we were able to get our birds. Birds usually held for the dogs, but flushed as we got close.

Week of 1-26, one guy 2 Brits. Weather was not too bad at all. Saw lots of birds - mostly hens, very, very few hunters. Birds were still spooky.
Usually this time of year the grass cover is really down, but due to lack of much heavy snow found lots of birds in grass.

Its a long time until November 2022.

Few pictures attached.
When I get the editing gopro down better will share some video.

Attachments

• 1-12-22 Rocky and Reece.jpg
    1-12-22 Rocky and Reece.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 1-27-22 Reece.jpg
    1-27-22 Reece.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 1-29-22 Reece and Rocky.jpg
    1-29-22 Reece and Rocky.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Chief Upland 1-26-22.jpg
    Chief Upland 1-26-22.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 25
End of The Year Report ---
Went back week of 1-11, 2 guys and 3 Brits. Pretty cold and windy. Saw lots of birds - mostly hens, very few hunters. Birds were really spooky but we were able to get our birds. Birds usually held for the dogs, but flushed as we got close.

Week of 1-26, one guy 2 Brits. Weather was not too bad at all. Saw lots of birds - mostly hens, very, very few hunters. Birds were still spooky.
Usually this time of year the grass cover is really down, but due to lack of much heavy snow found lots of birds in grass.

Its a long time until November 2022.

Few pictures attached.
When I get the editing gopro down better will share some video.
First try at sharing video...
I was going thru this pasture mostly to get back to the truck. Cattle were in it in November so cover was sparse. Birds seemed to hold fairly well for dogs but as I approached I think they were running. Hopefully video is attached.

I was going thru this pasture mostly to get back to the truck. Cattle were in it in November so cover was sparse. Birds seemed to hold fairly well for dogs but as I approached I think they were running. Hopefully video is attached.
Unfortunately Dakotasj there doesn't seem to be a video unless l'm just not seeing it.

I was going thru this pasture mostly to get back to the truck. Cattle were in it in November so cover was sparse in spots. Birds seemed to hold fairly well for dogs but as I approached I think they started running. Hopefully video is attached.
OK, this old man may have gotten the first video to the point I would share. Quality of video and editing not too great. Hope video no. 2 is better or I guess I could be voted off the site.

Right click and open - I think.

https://gopro.com/v/V2RWzo765zRE0

OK, this old man may have gotten the first video to the point I would share. Quality of video and editing not too great. Hope video no. 2 is better or I guess I could be voted off the site.
Nice! Great to have those moments on video. Watching the dogs do their thing is super fun!
Here's our latest.

Last edited:
Back