Another season comes to a close - at least for me

duckn66

Seems the seasons are ending fast these days. I didn't bird hunt nearly as much as I would have liked. My worse year on quail on the past 5 or so. I did kill more phez this year than I have in a long time. The area I hunt had lots of hens which will be good for next year providing we have favorable weather.

I hope everyone had a good and safe season.

Worst year for me since the depths of the drought. We managed to find a few quail and a few pheasants on Sunday, but it was disappointing. Like you, we did see some hens. Central Kansas needs rain in a BAD way.

On the ground I've been on pheasants seem pretty close to what they have been which was fair. Maybe I just haven't got into them but quail surprised me , the last couple years 3-5 covey days were pretty normal. On the same circuit I doubt I have seen 5 coveys total this year.
I got out for my final time today it was ok maybe a few more roosters than normal but pretty close. With the weather just wasn't many good days to be a bird hunter this year.
Managed one old bird today. Really nice spurs. Long tail feathers, would have been good one but he had worn a couple of inches of the tips of of his feathers
He seemed a little light, not sure if old age was catching up to him or if he was just worn out.
Pretty cool to think about an old bird like that and how many times he has alluded the gun. Today just thought we were going to zig when we zagged. Nothing special on my part. Just his bad luck I guess. Still kind of satisfying, but not as much as if I had ended up with 3 or 4.

Back