Another day then there!

Pretty pumped! We be to the great state in just a few days! I got a total crew of 7; me, another dad and 5 high school boys. 3 I took for their first time last year, other 3 will be their first time this year. Really enjoy passing on all that I have learned. Started pheasant hunting when I was 10 when we lived outside of KC. Always enjoyed those days with dad. Hopefully he will be able to make another trip before its too late, if that time hasn't passed yet.

A successful trip! Introduce 3 more to the sport and the other 3 got their second annual trip. We left at the peaceful hour of 0400 and made it to the first field at 1400 to teach some of the basic's. Actually kicked up a rooster and a covey, although nobody was expecting that, they are still there. Traveled more north and hit a field we hunted last year. As we where pulling in, a truck with dog trailer was pulling out. Oh well, no time to go anywhere else. We approached the field in a different direction than most would probably hunt, thinking that the group before us probably pushed some birds around and not kick everything out. We set lose and trusted the dog. Sure enough, within 75 yards we got the first rooster. We finished just before sundown.

We continued moving north to my old haunts the next day. Got to love those Kansas sunrises!

We continued working a little west, north then east. Definitely could tell the difference in bird numbers within 10 miles. As the days passed, we saw less and less. However, their shooting improved. One of the boys was wearing a tracker which said he did 50 miles in three and half days. So, a mid day field break was in order.

That was pretty much the last field Gavin (dog) hunted. His feet where raw and muscles to soar to move. Day 4.5 we hunted dogless and not nearly as hard. We finished the hunt on News Years Eve with a parking lot steak cookout. A great way to end the year!

Looks like good times were had by all. We are preparing to make my second trip out this year. We are heading out sometime around the 21st and hunting for 3-4 days. Hopefully the birds will cooperate a little better, last time I was out there the temps were in the 70's:(

Good for you for getting those young men out into the great outdoors. I also like the parking lot cookout. They look like they are having a great time. You are definitely helping them make lifelong memories and hopefully getting them hooked on our great sport. What a way to ring in the New Year.

Awesome story!

When you said the dogs feet were raw, was it because of dry conditions or thorns or what?

Thinking about dragging my husband out there for a couple of days and want to know what we are in for with the dogs.
Thanks.

My best friend had a Dad like you growing up. If it weren't for him, I would not be on this site right now... Well done!
D

Back