Annual Late Season Hunt

BrdHntr

Back with my son Erick after a very enjoyable five day hunt. Our buddy had a work conflict, so just the two of us and our Yellow lab Pop. She fully recovered from her sprained right front leg, and stitches from the fall hunt, and did not disappoint. She made a number of fabulous- crippled bird retrieves, birds we would have never recovered without snow. Nothing more rewarding than that! It's been a number of years since we did this trip without snow already on the ground, although we did get about 1" of snow Tuesday, which really did help. It sure was nice to hunt in regular - not Muck type boots on this trip. No boot drying at night, as our feet sweat in those Mucks. My feet weren't sore at the end of 5 days! We really noticed more birds of prey than normal - we always see bald eagles and hawks, with the occasional falcon and owl. This trip we really saw a lot of owls; one great horned, and we assumed the rest were snowy, although they were not the normal white we are used to - assumed the lack of snow impacted the color phase - not sure. We are pretty sure we saw two Golden eagles, a number of bald eagles, a few falcons, several hawks (as always), and three rough legged buzzards eating on a deer carcass. We also saw a orange headed variant of the yellow headed blackbird, which was very cool. We did shoot our limit each day, and really worked for it. We hunted a combination of CREP, WPA, WIA and min maint roads. Our shooting the second day was sub par - we both missed a couple of plums............fortunately we had enough flushes to finish the day with 6 birds. We had 6 multiple bird flushes; twice four roosters flushed and we bagged all of them! That was incredible; two of Pop's cripple retrieves occurred, or we would have lost two. One multi bird was a plum ticket flush on a real windy day, and we were able to flank both sides; we dropped 5 and recovered 4. Erick had a 3 rooster flush and dropped 2 - had his chance for the triple, but still some fine shooting. On the last day we had a five rooster flush - it was our only calm day, and they flushed wild; ! winged one which we recovered; we had no other shots at them; Erick also had a large hen/rooster flush on the last day, and dropped one, and another nice cripple retrieve by Pop. We had cold and windy weather the first four days. Strong winds swing the advantage to us bird hunters, so I'm a fan of wind - although when it's around or below zero not so much🤣🤣 These six flushes accounted for 16 of our 30 birds. Without the wind I doubt we would have had all those opportunities. The last day was 0. but sunny and calm; we saw more birds out during our early morning scouting trip, than the rest of the trip combined. Very encouraging to see. You do see some interesting things driving around! Hope to get out again once or twice during January. Erick bagged a very nice rooster on the plum thicket flush. I wish all of you good health and prosperity in the New Year, and great hunting!

Attachments

• pic 3.jpg
    pic 3.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 73
  • P39.jpg
    P39.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 62
  • P32.jpg
    P32.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 64
  • P30.jpg
    P30.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 60
  • P21.jpg
    P21.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 63
  • P24.jpg
    P24.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 58
  • P15.jpg
    P15.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 58
  • P46.jpg
    P46.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 66
  • p8.jpg
    p8.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 73
Thanks Roadscholar, so thankful to spend time with my son chasing this glorious bird. Forgot to mention we did flush a lot of hens, probably 50/50 hens & roosters. Glad to see as good population of hens. We also had one of those heart shot birds mentioned on another thread here; although don't think this bird was heart shot; we shot twice and knew the bird was hard hit; watched it & then it started doing the vertical ascent, then crashed hard about 200 yards in a combined bean field. Took Pop out there and the bird was standing but very woozy; she caught it...............so we thought it might have been head shot, since all the heart shot ones I've seen were DOA. I partially ran out there with Pop, when I saw the bird standing there. the wind was whipping and it was cold. When we got back to the truck, I had a coughing attack; Erick had the same experience a couple days later, helping Pop chase down a cripple. You know it's cold when that happens!

That's interesting, the birds that do the death climb and then plummet are usually stone-dead when you get to them.
Glad to hear that you flushed good numbers of hens!

Great report BrdHntr! Always great to spend time in the field with your son. My son and i had a greatvtrip as well. We had a death flight too, but no vertical assent. The bird turned into the wind cupped his wings like a mallard coning into decoys and landed in a pasture. I think he ran a bit and then died, but i dont know for sure other than where i marked him he wasnt close to that spot, as i type this with my cheater spec on.......we aslo had better luck in the winder conditions and our shoot was outstanding we hit 19 of 22 and recovered 17 of the roosters.

Thank you Miforester, I'm glad you and your son had a great trip, and I really enjoyed reading your post about it. Superb shooting as well!

Late report from our hunt 12/29 thru 1/2. My son, a buddy and myself made the trip again this year and we had a absolute blast. We decided to hunt a different area due to the cold conditions and ended up in the platte area. We hunted only public areas and almost all cattails. Couldn’t get close enough to the birds in any other type of cover. Flushed birds out of almost every marsh we hunted but ones surrounded by corn fields held many more birds than the others. Surprised to see how many prairie chickens we saw, many times we flushed groups of 30 or more. Ended up with a hard earned limit of roosters on a couple days and only a few birds on others. Our shooting was spotty at best with some great shots and some easy misses. I also saw many more birds of prey than usual, hawks and bald eagles were common per usual, but I saw more owls in those 5 days than I’ve seen in 5 years. There was 3 in one shelter belt alone. Cool to see but the pheasants don’t like them much. Hopefully be back in 2 weeks.

We saw a ton of raptors during our trip too. One day we saw at least a dozen bald eagles. Flushed the same owl 3 times and saw 5 snowy owls. A trip probably 4 years ago i got to watch a hawk attack a pheasant in the grass, the hen escaped and flushed and avoided the hawk in the air and landed. The hawk dove into the grass again but left empty handed. Pretty cool sight.

Back