Anaplasmosis

mstand

Got some rough news today. I will try to make it short.
About 4 days ago Max had started to act a little off. It started while on a run in the woods. It was a hot day, but we had trained in much hotter weather so I didnt think anything about it.Plus, there were plenty of pot holes that he got into and the river. Plus, we do this every year while scouting.
While he was on the run I had tried to get his attention. He ran towards me and stopped short about 50 yards away. He was looking right at us, yet didnt recognize or respond to my commands. When I called him, he ran the other way.

Later when we got back to the truck he wouldnt load up, he just layed under the truck.
That night he ate well etc. Next day he was vomiting and had weird looking stools.

The next couple of days were off and on. He would eat, he would not. He would vomit, he wouldnt No consistency and just acted off. Temp and color were monitored and all normal.

Sunday was dove opener and we took him and Abby. Max started the day fine, but by 9 am he began to act off again. I couldnt even get this dog to do a 10 yard blind ret.? Took them home and he wouldnt leave the truck. But he ate fine

Finally, on Monday he was lethargic again. I went outside with him to see what his stool looked like. He went to poop and it was projectile blood that came from his rear!:eek: Now, panic sets in. Now, as dog owners, if we panicked about every piece of bloody stool we would always be on the hone to the vet. But this was different.

So I spoke to the vet and we ended up going to the vet this morning.
End result is he had a minor heat stroke and in finding this out we discovered that he also has the tick borne disease anaplasmosis.
This is treatable, but we are waiting to find out how long he has had it.Then they will decide how to treat it. But we already have doxy on board. Man, that stuff was 325.00!!!!

What I learned is with theses hard charging dogs we have to pay attention to the signs they give us. I should have known right away he was in distress. He would probably fall over dead before he would quit on me. I screwed up!

Second, I have always just did the standard heartworm test. never checked for the extras like lyme and anaplasmosis. I will from now on. It is only a few more bucks.

I will be much more careful of what I do with the dogs now.

He went from this happy guy
DSCN2075_zpsb383745f.jpg

To this guy
20130902_202457_zpsd15d84d3.jpg

My mom has Lyme. Got a tick bite 10 years ago and that tick had with it several different types of bacteria or disease so it took my mom a long time to recover from all the other things it was carrying. The Lyme never went away and it is just terrible. She has good days but most are not so great she cant work because she would have to take sick days all the time.

Just last month she found another bug bite under her arm pit and it looks like she may have got bitten by another infected tick. Last week she had a weird rash and has not been feeling too well. We are waiting for some blood test to come back to see what she caught this time.

I never used to think much about it until my mom got sick but we always check our selves for ticks and the dogs too. They can carry more than just Lyme thats for sure

Sorry to hear about that. Working dogs in the summer always makes me nervous. I am not sure that Ox would ever show a sign that he is overheating.

I love that first picture of your pup!

Mstand I wouldn't be to hard on yourself. Things happen for a reason.
A friend of mine contracted lyme disease a couple of yrs. ago, during follow up treatment they discovered she had leukemia. Had she not been under medical care I'm not sure they would have caught it in time.
Max having a heat stroke doing something he has done a thousand times before cannot possibly be your fault.
Glad they caught the Anaplasmosis....wish him a speedy recovery.

Mstand I wouldn't be to hard on yourself. Things happen for a reason.
A friend of mine contracted lyme disease a couple of yrs. ago, during follow up treatment they discovered she had leukemia. Had she not been under medical care I'm not sure they would have caught it in time.
Max having a heat stroke doing something he has done a thousand times before cannot possibly be your fault.
Glad they caught the Anaplasmosis....wish him a speedy recovery.

Thanks. Today was good. he was up and then down again. But when I took the pup out for training he got a little peaved at me. Good sign I think.

Back