alan's first ever hunt (deer) jan 2 2010

alan

this was an awesome hunt for me got this big passion about deer hunting or hunting in general.. so i had to find these guys to take me which they did and what a blast.......i wanna do it again but i have just a little handicap im just a little slow upstairs hard for me to catch on etc so these guys took me..... i wanna go this year not sure if iam or not these guys havent told me yet :( but heres the story

So on Jan 2nd I met jeremy and tyler at McDonalds... drove to our first spot for a sit in the stand.... it was -20 deg with a wind chill of -40!!!!! jthe camera froze up and made it imposible to film any of the hunt... we sat for 1 1/2 hours.... and after not seeing anything.... and frozen feet jeremy and tyler decided that we would have to resort to deer drives. This spot that we were in originially sat in is usually a hot spot and if no deer are moving there then most likley no deer are movin period...

the first field that we went to is another hot spot... we did 4 different drives on this property and the deer never left the field... just ran circles... somewhere around 30+ deer out of that field.. and a nice 150" buck that jeremy and i jumped on our way to post for the drive but no shots... tyler and jeremy needed helmets and shoulder pads as they were takin turns doing the drives... deer were literally 3 yards away from them!! of course as we didnt have a gun or bow in hand...

finally as jeremy was struggling on decision making.... deciding how to drive this property best with one driver and one shooter is tough... finally tyler and jeremy decided to just give it a try...

As jeremy and I were walking to the post 8 deer jumped out of the bottom finger ... jeremy quickly told me to sit down as we were in a good spot but not ideal... if we were to go any further the deer would have left for good... they held up a fence line connecting the two pieces of timber... with tyler on his way i knew that they would turn back to us... after a few mins the deer began runnig back down the hill to the finger of timber ...

then the show started!!!

Wave after wave came running out of the timber and all i could hear was alan sayin.."this is so cool!!" ... the deer kept comin and all held up by the creek.. about 145 yards away..

as the deer started trotting up the hill anywhere between 120 to 140 yard a way i told alan that we woulnt be shooting at those deer because we had 4 coming just right that would give us a shot... then i saw the buck.... i then changed my mind... 130'' 8 point came out of the trees followed by another deer 10 yards behind... i told alan to get his gun up and take the shot...

the deer wasnt moving fast at all but at a slow trot... when I pulled up the gun... I found the first deer that came into the scope... put it on MY shoulder and led him a bit until I was comfortable and squeezed off the shot!!! at first I thought I missed... but as tyler met up with us on top of the hill..Jeremy went to check for blood.... it didnt take long to find the good spray... since jeremy didnt see where the deer was hit... but had a good idea... tyler and jeremy decided to back out and give him an hour or so just in case..jeremy and tyler didnt want to make a mistake and bump his deer and make the track job longer than necessary...

We drove back to Marshalltown to get jeremy's card for the camera and then out to find the deer!! We knew that there was dark blood and alot of it... with the windchill hoovering around -30 degrees that the deer wouldnt last long at all. Turns out that the deer was this shed antler buck and ran only 80 yards!! jeremy ranged the shot at 135 yards and to make it better... DOUBLE LUNG!!!!

Nice story and good shooting, I wish I was still hunting that area of Iowa, I would sure get you into some birds, we hunted over near Pocahontas and always found birds. There are several fairly good and large public areas in that neck of the woods maybe worth checking out. I do not recall the names off hand but you could go basically in any direction from town and find them. I have read your other posts about not finding any birds in the road ditches. When I hunted that area I also struggled with finding birds in road ditches.

heres a pic of it that i forgot to post with the story.... it was a shed antler buck..guys that took me went back to same area where he was at the next day and found the rack for him..it was an 8 pointer and here is a picture of the rack they found..it was his rack they matched it up with his head and they lined up

AlansDeer004.jpg
[/IMG]

0121101145b_193083.jpg
[/IMG]

Nice story and good shooting, I wish I was still hunting that area of Iowa, I would sure get you into some birds, we hunted over near Pocahontas and always found birds. There are several fairly good and large public areas in that neck of the woods maybe worth checking out. I do not recall the names off hand but you could go basically in any direction from town and find them. I have read your other posts about not finding any birds in the road ditches. When I hunted that area I also struggled with finding birds in road ditches.

im taking a break for just a few days...been walking some crp fields got just one lonesome hen up..been going about everyday...i love hunting maybe more then fishing lol

Back