advice please

upland4life

i hate to sound like a newbie but the truth is ,i am. i dovehunted some but now i would like to get into pheasant hunting and wander what ya'll think about hunting behind boykin spaniels

I'm not well versed with Boykins, but I've been a Spaniel lover since childhood. I prefer a ponting Brittany, but have hunted behind some great Springers and other flushers. If your Boykin has 1/2 a nose he/she will be a asset. Hunting pheasants without a dog is a real nice walk with a heavy gun.

i appreciate the responce . i guest the big thing for me is the fact that i dont have any connections what soever so i thought i would get some advice from someone who knows.i'm not stuck on a boykin i just like them alought i also thought about a german short hair .

You also need to consider the type of cover you will be hunting in. Boykins are smaller spaniels compared to Springers, and in some of the thick stuff found in South Dakota and neighboring states, that little dog will get his butt handed to him after awhile.

Lord knows after a day of walking that stuff myself I am looking for the nearest couch, the remote and couple of cold ones!

:cheers:

i appreciate the responce . i guest the big thing for me is the fact that i dont have any connections what soever so i thought i would get some advice from someone who knows.i'm not stuck on a boykin i just like them alought i also thought about a german short hair .

DID YOU SAY GERMAN SHORTHAIR.........:thumbsup: :D

Dont forget the English Pointer!! This is the eternal question, which dog is better for... Get good blood lines, good training, lots of patients, and you will have a good buddy with whatever you choose...

Happy Hunting!!

I judge the US Open Pheasant Tournament at the Minnesota Horse and Hunt Club every year and have judged Boykens and just about every pointer breed every year. The Boyken is a good little dog. They run hard in small fields and if they have a nose on them, they can be great. Even if they don't it will be better than just you walking through the fields without a furry companion. GSP's are also a great choice. Personal preferance I'd say. Find a few good breeders and talk to them about their dogs. They'll steer you in the right direction.
Good Luck
Timmer

I've hunted behind some Boykins, and Springers although they did ok, and were good little birddogs, I own 2 shorthairs, and the majesty you get when that pointer makes scent and spins 180 and cranks a point, and you can see him inhaling all the scent he can in that chokebore nose, and stand for you to walk in and flush a cackling rooster, whoa buddy, I get goosebumps talking about it. I prefer pointers, especially shorthairs, but can apprecciate any good birddog. I would try and hunt behind a flusher and a pointer, that should help you some. Good luck. :thumbsup:
I know where you can get a nice close to medium started shorthair, with a loving temperment.

LVRGSP :cheers:

Back