Advice on public hunting near Pierre

Trusty20

Hi Everybody,
I'm originally from Oregon but living in Minnesota for the time being and with SD so close I can't give up the chance to set up a hunting trip to the Pheasant Capital with my Grandpa. He's the one who taught me to hunt and taken me on countless trips in Oregon from hunting pheasant to fly fishing for bass. Now I'm trying to pay his kindness back with a trip he won't forget :D. Although he's in his 80's he still outshoots me on a good day and will hunt all day long, even though it'd be best to be on flatter terrain. I'm looking for any tips, advice or suggestions on where to go and what public lands to hunt. I've been looking at the Pierre area and have heard Lyman county isn't too bad but if anyone has a better place in mind I'm game. We're looking at the 3rd week in November (roughly the 20-25). Thanks in advance.

I'd be looking at private land via an access fee as all the public land in that area has been hammered since the 15th of Oct. Most crops were already out or were being worked so what birds were there have been hunted very hard. Just my $.02.

Trusty,

My group of three did well in that area the opening week. We only hunted public and road sides. Saw fewer hunters than in years past and was hoping that meant there would be plenty of birds remaining to hunt. I will be going back either the second or third week of Nov. Any area that we found that had cattails on the roadside bordering cut corn seemed to have a couple of roosters. Good luck to you and your grand dad.

Hi Everybody,
I'm originally from Oregon but living in Minnesota for the time being and with SD so close I can't give up the chance to set up a hunting trip to the Pheasant Capital with my Grandpa. He's the one who taught me to hunt and taken me on countless trips in Oregon from hunting pheasant to fly fishing for bass. Now I'm trying to pay his kindness back with a trip he won't forget :D. Although he's in his 80's he still outshoots me on a good day and will hunt all day long, even though it'd be best to be on flatter terrain. I'm looking for any tips, advice or suggestions on where to go and what public lands to hunt. I've been looking at the Pierre area and have heard Lyman county isn't too bad but if anyone has a better place in mind I'm game. We're looking at the 3rd week in November (roughly the 20-25). Thanks in advance.

did you read my thread in pierre i just told you what to do and showed pics of cover lol you dont need private there are so many freakin birds there like i said if you cant kill your limit in and around that area try golf!

Lol Thanks pointer, I'll take my chances with my birds my golf swing is none existant. Is the thread your talking about the one started by shinebone?

Found it. Good info. Does anyone have suggestions of good but cheap places to stay in the area? Also, any favorite restaurants? I'm also considering Redfield area, does anyone know how it compares to Pierre?

theres nothing cheap in those one horse towns they know its phez season and i mean they up the prices like no other its pitiful off season rates are around 50 and there raising it to 90 and a 100 but thats for another thread i was thinking of starting

about 15 miles North of Pierre is a place called the Outpost lodge, myself and my army hunting buddys have been staying there for probably 7 years now. Good people, clean accomodation and they have a great restaurant and lounge, good food, call Les or Marilyn at 605 2645450. They have cabins for $80 a night with 2 beds go to outpost lodge,pierre s.d. and you can see what they have to offer. I plan to go as soon as my buddies can get their dates for leave figured out. Damn Army guys, oh hell I am one.:cheers:

about 15 miles North of Pierre is a place called the Outpost lodge, myself and my army hunting buddys have been staying there for probably 7 years now. Good people, clean accomodation and they have a great restaurant and lounge, good food, call Les or Marilyn at 605 2645450. They have cabins for $80 a night with 2 beds go to outpost lodge,pierre s.d. and you can see what they have to offer. I plan to go as soon as my buddies can get their dates for leave figured out. Damn Army guys, oh hell I am one.:cheers:

Lol...I know how that goes. You need one of us Marines to really get things organized :cool: (or so we like to think ;)) I'll have to check if they got any availability sounds like a nice place. Maybe we'll see you out there

hell, my son was a marine,they are gunho and run into the gunfire and get the sh*t shot out of them therefore filling in the depressions so the real fighters, the army can go in and take care of business. alright you leathernecks, take a chill pill, it was only a joke, you know something that is suppose to be funny. I have only great feeling of respect and prayers for all of the military no matter what branch. :cheers:
let me know what they say, tell them Jim from Colorado told you about them won't help either of us but that way they will know who told you about them. Lots of luck ur skill, marines need all they can get ,, just joking boys.

Now now we all know the army is the Tampons of the services....there just to soak up the blood while the Marines go out and do all the real work again of taking back all the ground the army couldn't hold and lost again ;)

Stand down soldiers just firing back a little fun. Some of the best Marines I knew came from the army and then some of the best Marines I know joined the Guard afterward. We're all in the same boat but some friendly guff is good for everyone :D

Oh and by the way not all Marines are guys ;)

theres nothing cheap in those one horse towns they know its phez season and i mean they up the prices like no other its pitiful off season rates are around 50 and there raising it to 90 and a 100 but thats for another thread i was thinking of starting

motel 8 was 59.00 with tax opening weekend including breakfast.:p

Try the cabins in farm island state rec. Area. $30 /night. Sleep3-4. Heat, power, bunks. Better than a tank fender!

Thanks everyone for the responses and advice. It turned up that Grandpa and my stepdad couldn't make it out from Oregon. So I ended up joining Iowa labs group in Central SD for some hunting adventures. We had a great time. Saw good numbers of birds, though lots were flushing out of range or were coming up hens in range. We hunted public land and some ditches, and learned a lot, thanks to our new friends. Overall it was a great first experience hunting in SD, coming back with a few birds and things to work on for next time to make it an even better hunt.

IMAG0122.jpg

IMAG0116.jpg

Nobles County Minnesota

You should check out Nobles County Minnesota. I watched a Pheasants Forever show that featured Nobles County. Looked like good hunting with lots of publick access through the PF program.

Back