Advice on chronic cough

Ranger Rick

My 3-1/2 year old setter has a cough, bronchitis. This is the third time he's had it. Nov 2012 after being boarded for a week. Nov 2013 after returning from Iowa pheasant hunting. Now July into August 2014.

Nov 2012 treated with antibiotics for kennel cough. Nov 2013 same treatment, but it seemed to linger into the winter. Now this.

No blastomycosis. No tick borne diseases. Bronchial wash did not show any bacterial infections.

My vet figures allergies, but my breeders and their vet doubt allergies. Vet put the Pup is on prednisone and it went away, but in weaning him off of them the cough came back. Now back on the prednisone and added an antibiotics he hasn't been on before.

Bottom line, I figure once the drugs are run through he'll be back coughing again. My vet doesn't have a clue what else to do. The breeders vet thinks possible damage to trachea while hunting, or something he never really got over from the first go round. He agrees with steps my vet has taken, but I've not had much encouragement that we're on course to nip this for good.

Has anyone else ever experienced something like this with their dogs?

Kennel cough can be recurring. Even vaccination may not solve it. Usually it gets less frequent and not as harsh. Did they look from fibers in the trachea Sometimes things get there, like carpet fibers, fiberglass insulation, splintered bones, seeds, going to the stomach route, usually exhibited by coughing, gagging. Had a Brittany who got nylon carpet fibers ingested, same symptoms but lungs and passage way clean. Good Luck.

Had the same problem with my Llewellin. Cough started last year. Originally thought it was kennel cough. Did nothing for a few months. Vet said it would go away. After a few months, back to the vet. Did 2 weeks of antibiotics. Never went a way. Did 800.00 worth of tests. Tested positive for some tick borne crap. Did more tests that said he was only exposed to some pathogen but didn't get the actual disease. Did 6 weeks of antibiotics, still didn't kick it. Gave him a bath and haircut. Cough has been gone for 3 weeks. I have no idea why............ can't see how a haircut could make a difference. Only thing we have changed.............Maybe he was swallowing to much hair grooming with the longer hair...............hope it stays away though.........

Back