Advice from the montana gurus

Browninggold

Mnmthunting/ Montana Gurus

How are things shaping up in montana for a late season hunt? North central region. Have you had good hunts this year in MT? I've read all the montana reports about the Hail storm in the spring , did it take its toll or are there still nine more roosters around that I can feast on.

I'm heading down to malta on the 2nd of Dec. Any advice from you or anyone else would be greatly helpfull .

Thanks
The Canadians

Yup, there's 9 more:cool: If your lucky enough to have a place that has had limited hunting and heavy cover you will have a blast. The surviving birds have mostly learned where it's safe and most have flocked in. On my last trip I saw a ton of birds, on posted property. Otherwise, a hard days work and some good shooting will get you a limit. Good Luck.:thumbsup:

Thanks for you input

Thanks mnmthunting ! Did you see may sharptails this year? Are you planning any more trips to MT this season? if so what counties would you be hunting ? I'll be in malta on the 2nd and hunting the refuge on the 3rd .

I don't know if I will make another trip in 07? I think it was a above average year for Sharptails. If I go in mid Dec. it will be in the heavy cover along the Yellowstone River East of Miles City. I think the Milk River is as good but, the Yellowstone for me is a good 6 hr closer.

Access

Is there a good amount of public access around the yellowstone, I heard that area got hit pretty hard with the spring storms!! Is Wibeux around that area ? I heard that is a great area to hunt, lots of sharptails as well.

Good hunting,
Darren

Darren, Wibaux is in that area, about 35 miles East of the River. Just inside the MT border on I 94. Webaux is a good hunting area, bottom lands and CRP have fair Pheasant Hunting and Sharptails tend to be spotty. If you get into Sharptails however, your likely to see large # they tend to flock up this time of the year. The bad news is they are really spooky.

Very little public land along the Yellowstone. I think getting permission is much better latter in the season.

mnmt

Back