Adding bird dog to the mix

IowaBoy92

I am adding a lab to my family later this year. We currently have a 2 year old cockapoo who is used to doing pretty much whatever he wants. My question is “is the new pup going to be more prone to learn bad behavior from the older one, or will I be able to keep the pup on track with his training?” I’m nervous to get this new pup and make a good hunting dog out of him when the older dog jumps up, plays tug, and gets to be on the furniture.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I am adding a lab to my family later this year. We currently have a 2 year old cockapoo who is used to doing pretty much whatever he wants. My question is “is the new pup going to be more prone to learn bad behavior from the older one, or will I be able to keep the pup on track with his training?” I’m nervous to get this new pup and make a good hunting dog out of him when the older dog jumps up, plays tug, and gets to be on the furniture.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Iowa,
You won’t have a problem if you are consistent with the rules for the pup.
I had labs, currently a gsp and the misses always has a lap dog, she has a westy now. The lap dog is allowed on the bed and the big dog is not. No issues with the gsp on furniture either.
I don’t allow my puppies do anything that I won’t allow when they are full grown. And so far it’s worked for me.

Iowa,
You won’t have a problem if you are consistent with the rules for the pup.
I had labs, currently a gsp and the misses always has a lap dog, she has a westy now. The lap dog is allowed on the bed and the big dog is not. No issues with the gsp on furniture either.
I don’t allow my puppies do anything that I won’t allow when they are full grown. And so far it’s worked for me.
Thanks for that. Makes me feel better. Did you allow your bird dogs to play with the little dogs? The little one likes to play but I don’t want him teaching the pup bad manners.

Thanks for that. Makes me feel better. Did you allow your bird dogs to play with the little dogs? The little one likes to play but I don’t want him teaching the pup bad manners.
Yes, they play together in and out of the house. Just stop any unwanted behaviors as soon as they come up. But when I was doing basic training the with hunting dogs I did it away from the lap dogs in the beginning. So I had the pups full attention. Later on I used the lapdog as a distraction sometimes.
Funny side note, doing water retrieves with my gsp, we taught the westy to do water retrieves also

I have to keep my retriever puppy (12 weeks) away from our little dogs because the pup is already bigger than they are and thinks everything is a chew toy.

I have to keep my retriever puppy (12 weeks) away from our little dogs because the pup is already bigger than they are and thinks everything is a chew toy.
Not sure if every dog would do it, but my gsp (60lb) lays down flat to get the the level of the westy (18lb). It kind of levels the field as the rough house.

Back